POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Bruteforcerendering with povray : Re: Bruteforcerendering with povray Server Time
20 May 2024 02:20:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bruteforcerendering with povray
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 8 Jan 2008 13:51:08
Message: <4783c61c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp escribió:
>   Trying to support both methods at the same time is a bit problematic
> too. It's hard to mix them. Basically you would need two separate
> rendering engines and a way to choose which one is used where. The
> full BRDF definitions are basically useless in method 1.
>
>   If you want POV-Ray to support raytracing with BRDFs, that would
> mean basically that two different raytracers would need to be packaged
> into one executable, and you simply choose which one is used. The advantage
> in this can be dubious. It may be much better to simply have two different
> programs.

The main advantage is that the raytracing algorithms (as in, ray-object
intersections), SDL parsing, camera projections, and maybe even pigments
would be common to both renderers. finish{}es would probably need
totally different properties for each renderer, but I think that's it.

Anything that alters ("fakes") the normals may be problematic (smooth
heightfields, bezier patches, meshes with smooth triangles, or normal{}
on any object), as I have seen lighting models not using the normal
vector at all. But almost everything else would just work.