POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Bruteforcerendering with povray : Re: Bruteforcerendering with povray Server Time
20 May 2024 01:42:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bruteforcerendering with povray
From: Hymyly
Date: 23 Jan 2008 11:40:00
Message: <web.47976be7e181953e63108fea0@news.povray.org>
nemesis skribis:
>Seeing as hardware nowadays is so fast that
>raytracing is starting to get used in game engines for real-time applications
>and NVidia buying Mental Images mainly for its highly-touted real-time shading
>tech Mental Mill, perhaps it is time for stills to move on to more precise and
>automatic lighting models...

I agree.

We are seeing more and more elements from raytracing being brought into the
graphics cards. First-order reflections, shadows and procedural textures have
existed for quite a while, and the best graphics cards at the time of writing
even have support for radiosity-like features.

It is only a matter of time before the graphics cards will be able to generate
higher-order reflections, as well as simple refraction and caustics. Simple -
but convincing. If POV-ray doesn't keep up with these developments, staying a
couple of steps ahead all the time, it will eventually die out.

I am not familiar with the concept of "brute-force rendering" but I like the
sound of it. :P

Hymyly.
And there was light.