POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Possible new features? Server Time
9 May 2024 11:03:06 EDT (-0400)
  Possible new features? (Message 11 to 20 of 28)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Possible new features?
Date: 5 Nov 2007 12:08:44
Message: <472f4e1c@news.povray.org>
Robert Dawson <rda### [at] csstmarysca> wrote:
> (2) Currently there are cameras with parallel rays and cameras with diverging
> pencils of rays. How about a keyword that would allow a camera to "shoot in
> form infinity" along a converging pencil of rays? The result, if mapped onto a
> sphere,  would be something like a "Termesphere"(tm), or like the images used
> by Poser and similar programs to store faces.

  This is, again, something which should not be a part of the core code,
but easily scriptable. IOW, if there isn't a suitable camera type, you
write one with SDL.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Trevor G Quayle
Date: 5 Nov 2007 17:10:00
Message: <web.472f93babe601095c150d4c10@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> Robert Dawson <rda### [at] csstmarysca> wrote:
> > (2) Currently there are cameras with parallel rays and cameras with diverging
> > pencils of rays. How about a keyword that would allow a camera to "shoot in
> > form infinity" along a converging pencil of rays? The result, if mapped onto a
> > sphere,  would be something like a "Termesphere"(tm), or like the images used
> > by Poser and similar programs to store faces.
>
>   This is, again, something which should not be a part of the core code,
> but easily scriptable. IOW, if there isn't a suitable camera type, you
> write one with SDL.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

Two things I'd be interested in:

1) System variables to return the resolution of an input image.  This appears to
be already available in the source code, just not passed on to the SDL.

2) separate ior for fresnel reflection (in finish block) to allow for better
texture mapping.  I use fresnel quite often, however if I want to map something
like chrome text on a glass block, I would have to model them separately as they
both don't use the same ior.

Just suggestions, however they would be adding to the key word pool.  I've been
wanting to write a patch to do this myself regardless, just don't have the time
to look into how to compile it...

-tgq

Post a reply to this message