POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Possible new features? : Re: Possible new features? Server Time
20 May 2024 07:37:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Possible new features?
From: Charles C
Date: 24 Nov 2007 13:15:48
Message: <47486a54@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez wrote:
> Warp escribió:
>> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailisthebestcom> wrote:
>>> +Q0 is still slow for many scenes, and you can't do things like
>>> rotating the camera around the scene with a good framerate.
>>
>>   How is POV-Ray supposed to generate the preview if the objects are so
>> heavy to trace that even +Q0 is too slow?
>>

> GPU-rendered: Generate mesh once, rotate camera around it at 60fps.
>
> Raytraced at +Q0: just as slow (maybe many seconds) for each frame.

So that'd be basically a parse&convert by POV-Ray (to DirectX, Open GL
whatever), and then hand it over to a OS-specific side-app and/or
plug-in in which you could navigate a movable camera?  I imagine that
side-app could easily display some basic camera position information.
That sounds useful for checking overall geometry & positioning.  I'm
sure though that somebody will point out the difficulties related to
infinite surfaces and various precision-level choices, not to mention
just the undertaking of building in a converter generally.
Charles