POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : What would it take to get Rusty & Anthrosphinx back in action? ("Contract o= Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:20:34 EDT (-0400)
  What would it take to get Rusty & Anthrosphinx back in action? ("Contract o= (Message 5 to 14 of 14)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Re: What would it take to get Rusty & Anthrosphinx back in action? ("Contra=
Date: 15 Jun 2010 12:55:01
Message: <web.4c17b0173a4a8210a00085090@news.povray.org>
So Markus and Stephen,
These animations wipe out us old men, eh? So let's do animations which don't
wipe us out.  And my hypothesis in this regard has always been that a shorter
time to complete forces a simpler project, and limits the duration of agony for
a poorly designed one.  But I'll toss that idea out for whatever contest design,
youtube or TC-RTC would make the old IRTC Animators produce material again.
Markus, was your promise to *consider* producing, for an "open" TC-RTC round?

FWIW, I don't let myself lose sleep on these, but the 'puter. I set up the total
length, and first have a character doing a walk cycle throughout that total
length.  Then each day I compile an anim of the past night's render, make a few
tweaks, and re-render overnight.

Markus Altendorff <maa### [at] anthrosphinxde> wrote:
> Though I *do* appreciate being mentioned here, after all
> that time (three years... sigh.) ... who knows, might as
> well try and bring the old girls back this time. :)
>
> I'm not promising anything, mind you...
>
> -Markus

Post a reply to this message

> These animations wipe out us old men, eh? So let's do animations which don't
> wipe us out.

That's a good idea.

> And my hypothesis in this regard has always been that a shorter
> time to complete forces a simpler project, and limits the duration of agony for
> a poorly designed one.

I thought the opposite before but thinking about it, you're right.

> But I'll toss that idea out for whatever contest design,
> youtube or TC-RTC would make the old IRTC Animators produce material again.

We can have what ever we want for the TC-RTC and I like the idea of
uploading a 10 Meg animation and posting a link to youtube as well.

> Markus, was your promise to *consider* producing, for an "open" TC-RTC round?
>

> FWIW, I don't let myself lose sleep on these, but the 'puter. I set up the total
> length, and first have a character doing a walk cycle throughout that total
> length.  Then each day I compile an anim of the past night's render, make a few
> tweaks, and re-render overnight.

Overnight rendering is de rigueur. :-)

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>> These animations wipe out us old men, eh? So let's do animations which
>> don't
>> wipe us out.
>
> That's a good idea.

Aw c'mon, if I bother to fire up the 3D, then I want to tell
some kind of story, dangnabbit ;)

>> And my hypothesis in this regard has always been that a shorter
>> time to complete forces a simpler project, and limits the duration of
>> agony for
>> a poorly designed one.
>
> I thought the opposite before but thinking about it, you're right.

I beg to differ, but I'm easily persuaded :)

>> But I'll toss that idea out for whatever contest design,
>> youtube or TC-RTC would make the old IRTC Animators produce material
>> again.
>
> We can have what ever we want for the TC-RTC and I like the idea of
> uploading a 10 Meg animation and posting a link to youtube as well.

So far, my Youtubes have been "oh lookit here, the new
Cinema4D can do bouncing cubes" ... not sure if throwing
recreated tutorial output around is the right thing to get
back into TC-RTCing ;)

>> Markus, was your promise to *consider* producing, for an "open" TC-RTC
>> round?

There's still time until August 31, I gather? See, my bat
lady's wing mesh setup is pretty much in tatters at the
moment, but I don't want to get back to a "legacy"
configuration... :S

>> FWIW, I don't let myself lose sleep on these, but the 'puter. I set up
>> the total
>> length, and first have a character doing a walk cycle throughout that
>> total
>> length. Then each day I compile an anim of the past night's render,
>> make a few
>> tweaks, and re-render overnight.
>>

> Overnight rendering is de rigueur. :-)

Clustering isn't too shabby either :)

(though I must admit, since I switched from "idling
workstation 2006" to "thin desktop 2009" for the daily
computing stuff, my power bill has dropped by 1/3 ... and
that tiny box is still good enough to complete a couple
hundred frames overnight. Science! Progress! Isn't it
wonderful?) ;)

-M

Post a reply to this message

On 16/06/2010 9:08 PM, Markus Altendorff wrote:

> Aw c'mon, if I bother to fire up the 3D, then I want to tell some kind
> of story, dangnabbit ;)

Your animations *do* tell a story. I on the other hand prefer doing
cyclic animations where the story is inferred.

>>> And my hypothesis in this regard has always been that a shorter
>>> time to complete forces a simpler project, and limits the duration of
>>> agony for
>>> a poorly designed one.
>>
>> I thought the opposite before but thinking about it, you're right.
>
> I beg to differ, but I'm easily persuaded :)

out for me for the moment.

>>> But I'll toss that idea out for whatever contest design,
>>> youtube or TC-RTC would make the old IRTC Animators produce material
>>> again.
>>
>> We can have what ever we want for the TC-RTC and I like the idea of
>> uploading a 10 Meg animation and posting a link to youtube as well.
>
> So far, my Youtubes have been "oh lookit here, the new Cinema4D can do
> bouncing cubes" ... not sure if throwing recreated tutorial output
> around is the right thing to get back into TC-RTCing ;)

I meant it more along the lines of defeating the 10 Meg limit for
uploaded files. But maybe YouTube is not the best place.

>>> Markus, was your promise to *consider* producing, for an "open" TC-RTC
>>> round?
>
> There's still time until August 31, I gather?

The animation side of the site seems to be broken ATM and the server is
going to offline for a physical move this weekend. After that has been

again. Since it has been very quiet we can start afresh if no-one is
working on anything, maybe talk about new rules etc. There is some talk
about redesigning the site as work experience for a graduating student.

> See, my bat lady's wing
> mesh setup is pretty much in tatters at the moment, but I don't want to
> get back to a "legacy" configuration... :S

Ouch!

>> Overnight rendering is de rigueur. :-)
>
> Clustering isn't too shabby either :)

Nice.

> (though I must admit, since I switched from "idling workstation 2006" to
> "thin desktop 2009" for the daily computing stuff, my power bill has
> dropped by 1/3 ... and that tiny box is still good enough to complete a
> couple hundred frames overnight. Science! Progress! Isn't it wonderful?) ;)

Truly :-D

--

Best Regards,
	Stephen