POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:22:03 EDT (-0400)
  GPU rendering (Message 146 to 155 of 175)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Physically Correct rendering
Date: 19 Jan 2010 15:00:48
Message: <4b560f70$1@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
 >   Btw, you keep saying that the GPU could be used to speed up
ray-triangle
 > intersection calculations, but what do you base this on?

Other people works like those I linked to?

 >   Raytracers, including POV-Ray, use complex container structures to
speed up
 > ray-triangle intersection calculations (such as octrees or b-trees).
 >
 >   How can the GPU be used to speed this up? AFAIK when rendering in the
 > normal way, GPUs do not prune triangles like that, but instead all you
 > send the GPU to render is splashed into the screen as-is.

You're thinking of the GPU as solely a game engine, not a programatic
processor.

 >   Now, would you kindly explain to me how the GPU can be used to speed up
 > ray-triangle intersections of a scene with millions of triangles in a
 > raytracer?

I'm sure you know Google, but out of the top of my head:
http://ompf.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=16
http://davibu.interfree.it/opencl/smallluxgpu/smallluxGPU.html

last one is implementing precisely ray-triangle intersections on GPU and
btrees as containers.  Source code is GPL.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm sure you know Google, but out of the top of my head:
> http://ompf.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=16
> http://davibu.interfree.it/opencl/smallluxgpu/smallluxGPU.html
>
> last one is implementing precisely ray-triangle intersections on GPU and
> btrees as containers.

BVH to be more precise.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm sure you know Google, but out of the top of my head:
> http://ompf.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=16
> http://davibu.interfree.it/opencl/smallluxgpu/smallluxGPU.html

> last one is implementing precisely ray-triangle intersections on GPU and
> btrees as containers.  Source code is GPL.

  Well, since the code is ready, go ahead and integrate it in POV-Ray,
rather than whining about it. It's not like POV-Ray is closed-source.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message