POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : GPU rendering : Re: Physically Correct rendering Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:25:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Physically Correct rendering
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Jan 2010 16:23:30
Message: <4b5622d2$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 13:35:47 -0500, nemesis wrote:

> The only explanation so far being thrown has been:  "we don't want to
> speed up povray's ray-triangle intersections because it would make it
> much more useful to people outside our small geek niche and those people
> wouldn't be interested in using other povray features thus making us
> feel unloved".

Huh, you and I are reading different messages, then.

> Really, they can't stop talking how isosurfaces,
> textures and whatsoever would not be well-supported on GPU even though I
> agreed with that from the start and only hinted at triangles speed up.

And given the relatively small niche in the userbase who has hardware
that could do so, it doesn't seem reasonable to you to say "this is not a
good use of our developer's time"?

In any development project, there are good ideas that get put off or not
implemented due to resource constraints.  This is one of those times.
Maybe the right kind of GPU hardware will become more pervasive and
someone will take this on, but until then, you'll just have to be
satisfied with the answer that's been given, which I'm quite *sure* isn't
"we want to keep the software slow", as you seem to think it is.

Jim