POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp Server Time
6 Sep 2024 11:15:41 EDT (-0400)
  you & me right now, warp (Message 21 to 30 of 175)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: you & me right now, warp
Date: 16 Feb 2009 11:17:15
Message: <4999918b$1@news.povray.org>
>> - Everybody else on the Internet is an asshole.
>
> There are a lot of assholes out there..
>
>> - I'm an asshole.
>
> You're not ...

If it was just one person who thinks I'm an idiot, I probably wouldn't
care too much. But when several of the experts you look up to all
unanimously agree, it's quite upsetting.

>> I could sit here complaining about how everybody seems to have it in
>> for me. Or I could just face up to the fact that I UPSET PEOPLE, and
>> ask myself why...
>
> You only really bother me when you're so down on yourself. I must have
> missed the database discussion involving Darren, but I don't think
> you're the only person to be flamed by Warp (I think I've had a run-in
> with him at some point in the past) so it's not necessarily you.
>
> A lot of internet groups tend to be a bit cliquish, and I suspect that's
> what is happening at the Haskell group.

[IIRC, the database debate happened on this server's haskell group,
which few people know exists.]

Warp seems to access the Internet only to tell me I've mis-spelt things.
(As if I couldn't have guessed that. My inability to spell is legend.)
To be honest, that doesn't really bother me. Mostly.

OTOH, Warp is clearly a God-like programmer, and when He says something
about programming, he's usually right. (Though not always.) Go ask him
what the most efficient way to implement a Huffman tree in C++ is; I bet
he knows.

It seems like only a few months ago I started learning Haskell, but the
other day I found an assay about it, written by me, dated 2004. I've
been using this thing for *years*! And during all that time, Warp keeps
telling me that it's hopelessly inefficient, and I keep saying it isn't.

It got to the point where I'd see a post from Warp saying that Haskell
sucks because of X, and I'd spent half an hour trying to come up with a
reason why X is false. It ceased to be about the truth, and about
wanting to be right. I *wanted* Haskell to be the best.

But wanting something to be true doesn't make it true. And,
unfortunately for me, Warp is right, as usual. Haskell sucks. And no
amount of words from me is going to change it. My pride and joy actually
sucks, and I can't do anything about it.

Similarly, Darren is obviously an expert when it comes to computer
theory. I have no idea what the hell a recursively enumerable set is,
but I bet Darren does. When somebody like that tells you you're an
idiot, you sit up and take notice.

Yet again, the Haskell mailing lists collectively have more PhDs than
you can shake a stick at. There are people there who know the difference
between an endomorphism and an epimorphism, and people who actually
comprehend the Curry-Howard isomorphism. And, almost unanimously, they
all regard me as some kind of troll. They think I'm there just to cause
disruption.

Nobody else on the forum gets singled out as a troll. (Except for that
one guy who really *is* a troll!) Lots of other people, many of them
beginners like myself, manage to coexist quite happily. So clearly I
personally must be doing something very wrong to attract this kind of
negative attention.

If it was just one person who disliked me, it probably wouldn't bother
me. But when so many otherwise rational, intelligent people all say
you're stupid... eventually it starts to sink in.

Post a reply to this message

> OTOH, Warp is clearly a God-like programmer, and when He says something
> about programming, he's usually right. (Though not always.) Go ask him
> what the most efficient way to implement a Huffman tree in C++ is; I bet
> he knows.

And thats where my run-ins with Warp usually occur. I say something
misguided about programming and he jumps in. That's just Warp.

> Similarly, Darren is obviously an expert when it comes to computer
> theory. I have no idea what the hell a recursively enumerable set is,
> but I bet Darren does. When somebody like that tells you you're an
> idiot, you sit up and take notice.

Darren? Really?

FWIW, I've seen Darren and Warp really have it out over C# of all
things. But yes, they both know their stuff. That doesn't mean you're
actually an idiot, though.

> Nobody else on the forum gets singled out as a troll. (Except for that
> one guy who really *is* a troll!) Lots of other people, many of them
> beginners like myself, manage to coexist quite happily. So clearly I
> personally must be doing something very wrong to attract this kind of
> negative attention.

What made them think you're a troll?

> If it was just one person who disliked me, it probably wouldn't bother
> me. But when so many otherwise rational, intelligent people all say
> you're stupid... eventually it starts to sink in.

Right. I've been smacked in the head enough on here to know to be every
careful when I post on programming topics. I'm out of my depth with some
of folks on here, and I know that.

To change the subject (sort of):

BTW, I think I'm procrastinating on the filter stuff.. Right now I'm
trying to get properly feeding a circular sound buffer data so I can try
listening in realtime.

You seem to have quite an understanding of mathematics, though, which
says a lot. You know and understand things that would make a layperson
take one look and go curl up in a corner.
--
~Mike

Post a reply to this message