POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp : Re: you & me right now, warp Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: you & me right now, warp
From: Chambers
Date: 16 Feb 2009 13:26:33
Message: <4999afd9$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/16/2009 8:16 AM, Invisible wrote:
>>> - Everybody else on the Internet is an asshole.
>>
>> There are a lot of assholes out there..

Seriously, there are!

> Warp seems to access the Internet only to tell me I've mis-spelt things.

lol!  That is, honestly, one of the funniest things I've read in a long
time :)  Trust me, you're not THAT important to him!

> OTOH, Warp is clearly a God-like programmer, and when He says something
> about programming, he's usually right. (Though not always.) Go ask him
> what the most efficient way to implement a Huffman tree in C++ is; I bet
> he knows.

> It seems like only a few months ago I started learning Haskell, but the
> other day I found an assay about it, written by me, dated 2004. I've
> been using this thing for *years*! And during all that time, Warp keeps
> telling me that it's hopelessly inefficient, and I keep saying it isn't.

If you want efficient, go for C.  There's a reason it's still around,
despite C++ being 20 years old.

Haskell isn't C.  It's not trying to be, either.

> reason why X is false. It ceased to be about the truth, and about
> wanting to be right. I *wanted* Haskell to be the best.

I've definitely been there; actually, that's how I feel about POV-Ray.
There are honestly programs out there that people accomplish a lot more
in, with less effort, but I don't care - I love POV's way of doing things!

> Yet again, the Haskell mailing lists collectively have more PhDs than
> you can shake a stick at.

Listen to me: the more educated you are, the more likely you are to be
an asshole - ESPECIALLY to people who either don't understand your point
of view, or (even worse) people who don't agree with you.

If you show up on their mailing list, asking questions about why things
are the way they are, you're likely to piss them off just because you
have good questions.  You're not a "yes" man, you're not a fawning
sycophant, and that makes your intelligence a threat to their
established positions of power.

Maybe I'm just cynical, but unfortunately my experience backs up
humanity's dark side :(

> If it was just one person who disliked me, it probably wouldn't bother
> me. But when so many otherwise rational, intelligent people all say
> you're stupid... eventually it starts to sink in.

What about when so many otherwise rational, intelligent people all say
you're smart & they like you?  Who are going to listen to?

--
...Chambers
www.pacificwebguy.com