POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : you & me right now, warp : Re: you & me right now, warp Server Time
6 Sep 2024 13:19:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: you & me right now, warp
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 16 Feb 2009 13:47:23
Message: <4999b4bb$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
>>> Nobody else on the forum gets singled out as a troll. (Except for
>>> that one guy who really *is* a troll!) Lots of other people, many of
>>> them beginners like myself, manage to coexist quite happily. So
>>> clearly I personally must be doing something very wrong to attract
>>> this kind of negative attention.
>>
>> What made them think you're a troll?
>
> This is of course the crucial question.
>
> What is it about me that makes so many different people think that I'm
> just an attention-seeking fool with a loud mouth who doesn't know what
> he's talking about? Several different people, in unrelated forums, have
> all independently come to the same conclusion. There must be a reason
> for this.

If I had to guess I'd say that it has little to do with your ability and
more to do with the volume of your posts (which I assume is similarly
large on the Haskell forums).  Since this group is off-topic it's not
really a problem, and I enjoy that it means there's almost always
something to read when I want to procrastinate.  If the Haskell forums
aren't off-topic, however, then it's something of a different story.  I
imagine  you might get a similar reaction if you were accounting for 50%
of the posts in povray.general (and people didn't know you from p.o-t
already).

Anyway, I don't think you should take it personally, but remember that
most other people can't keep up with your rate of posting, and that this
might cause a problem in a forum where there's an expectation that posts
will be read and carefully responded to.  Of course, I don't visit the
Haskell forums so this is all pure speculation on my part, so feel free
to discard it accordingly.

Also, don't confuse Haskell `sucking' with Haskell simply not being
better than other languages in all circumstances.  I don't think
anyone's arguing that C++ will always give you a `better' solution than
Haskell for every problem.

Also also, don't get so down about not being the best at some things.
No expert started out that way, and even for the best experts there's
almost always someone better.  It's just part of life.