POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 07:12:56 EDT (-0400)
  New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) (Message 136 to 145 of 175)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: Brute force renderers
Date: 21 Feb 2008 15:12:04
Message: <47bddb14$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Ah, so you've decided Darren and I were right after all, then? ;-)

yes, now I'm a satanist. :P </sarcasm>

Post a reply to this message

From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Subject: Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
Date: 21 Feb 2008 15:13:45
Message: <47bddb79$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> As best I can tell, the algorithm described just sounds like POV-Ray's
> radiosity with an infinitely low error_bound. (I.e., always resample.)
> But applied to *all* terms, not just diffuse illumination...

That's the key. I'm not too sure POVRay's radiosity gives an unbiased
result even with all settings turned up to the best quality. If there is
just one reflective surface in the mix I'm downright sure it does not...

Even throwing photons in I believe there are situations POV will not
handle correctly. Can we do a wall lighting one side of a room because
it is itself lit by a light reflecting in a mirror?

Yeah, I should try myself :-)

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message

>> As best I can tell, the algorithm described just sounds like POV-Ray's
>> radiosity with an infinitely low error_bound. (I.e., always resample.)
>> But applied to *all* terms, not just diffuse illumination...
>>

> That's the key. I'm not too sure POVRay's radiosity gives an unbiased
> result even with all settings turned up to the best quality. If there is
> just one reflective surface in the mix I'm downright sure it does not...
>
> Even throwing photons in I believe there are situations POV will not
> handle correctly. Can we do a wall lighting one side of a room because
> it is itself lit by a light reflecting in a mirror?

"Light shines onto a white diffuse wall. Reflected light from the wall
creates caustics through a glass sphere. That is diffuse -> Specular
(caustics). I got the idea for this scene from a document by Henrik Wann
Jensen describing some difficult test scenes."

http://www.winosi.onlinehome.de/Gallery_t15.htm

Post a reply to this message

>> Even throwing photons in I believe there are situations POV will not
>> handle correctly. Can we do a wall lighting one side of a room because
>> it is itself lit by a light reflecting in a mirror?
>
> "Light shines onto a white diffuse wall. Reflected light from the wall
> creates caustics through a glass sphere. That is diffuse -> Specular
> (caustics). I got the idea for this scene from a document by Henrik Wann
> Jensen describing some difficult test scenes."
>
> http://www.winosi.onlinehome.de/Gallery_t15.htm

Ah yes now I remember seeing this one... Well it is expected that
unbiased renderer are able to tackle this, of course...

--
Vincent

Post a reply to this message

> That's the key. I'm not too sure POVRay's radiosity gives an unbiased
> result even with all settings turned up to the best quality. If there is
> just one reflective surface in the mix I'm downright sure it does not...

I do recall somebody rendered a radiosity scene with no photon maps at
all, and yet a large curved mirror still produced correct caustics. (It
was a damn long time ago now though, so I'd never be able to find the
image...)

> Even throwing photons in I believe there are situations POV will not
> handle correctly. Can we do a wall lighting one side of a room because
> it is itself lit by a light reflecting in a mirror?
>
> Yeah, I should try myself :-)

Radiosity ought to do it - although it may or may not require some
fairly crazy settings...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/