POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 21 Feb 2008 16:22:47
Message: <47bdeba7@news.povray.org>
Warp escribió:
>   There are advantages and disadvantages with this. The advantage is that
> the renderer never gets stuck on things like highly reflective/refractive
> objects because it's only following one path, not thousands (each one of
> which in turn would spawn thousands of new paths, etc). Another advantage
> is that you don't have to fix a number of rays to send per intersection
> point, but you can simply let it run for as long as you want.
>
>   The disadvantage is the graininess, of course. Overall, however, the
> correct result is approached faster in this way than with the method
> POV-Ray uses. (This is assuming we are looking for the perfect solution.)

I think another advantage is it works well with deadlines. Instead of
worrying if you'll finish the render by the IRTC deadline, you just let
it run till the last minute. It may be more or less grainy, but at least
you have the whole image. With a normal raytracer, you'd have the top
half of the image...