POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:20:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 21 Feb 2008 15:22:52
Message: <47bddd9c$1@news.povray.org>

> Orchid XP v7 wrote:
>> As best I can tell, the algorithm described just sounds like POV-Ray's
>> radiosity with an infinitely low error_bound. (I.e., always resample.)
>> But applied to *all* terms, not just diffuse illumination...
>>

> That's the key. I'm not too sure POVRay's radiosity gives an unbiased
> result even with all settings turned up to the best quality. If there is
> just one reflective surface in the mix I'm downright sure it does not...
>
> Even throwing photons in I believe there are situations POV will not
> handle correctly. Can we do a wall lighting one side of a room because
> it is itself lit by a light reflecting in a mirror?

"Light shines onto a white diffuse wall. Reflected light from the wall
creates caustics through a glass sphere. That is diffuse -> Specular
(caustics). I got the idea for this scene from a document by Henrik Wann
Jensen describing some difficult test scenes."

http://www.winosi.onlinehome.de/Gallery_t15.htm