POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) : Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net) Server Time
11 Oct 2024 09:19:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: New LuxRender web site (http://www.luxrender.net)
From: Vincent Le Chevalier
Date: 21 Feb 2008 16:26:10
Message: <47bdec72$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v7 wrote:
> Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:
>
>> That's the key. I'm not too sure POVRay's radiosity gives an unbiased
>> result even with all settings turned up to the best quality. If there
>> is just one reflective surface in the mix I'm downright sure it does
>> not...
>
> I do recall somebody rendered a radiosity scene with no photon maps at
> all, and yet a large curved mirror still produced correct caustics. (It
> was a damn long time ago now though, so I'd never be able to find the
> image...)

Well, strange...
In the docs it is written:
"
The brightness of radiosity in POV-Ray is based on two things:

    1. the amount of light "gathered"
    2. the 'diffuse' property of the surface finish
"
<http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/270/>

So it seems pretty clear that radiosity does not take the specular path,
ever, because the "reflection" property is not considered. Which means
that rays doing:
Light->specular->diffuse->diffuse->camera (the situation I described)
or Light->diffuse->specular->diffuse->camera (as in the image Nicolas
posted)
are never created.

But if there is a scene proving me wrong I'd be glad to see it.

--
Vincent