POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPad: WTF, Apple? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:20:24 EDT (-0400)
  iPad: WTF, Apple? (Message 10 to 19 of 29)
<<< Previous 9 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: iPad: WTF, Apple?
Date: 4 Apr 2010 17:56:47
Message: <4bb90b1f$1@news.povray.org>
Uh, I mean the "Caprica" one.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();
       call DRM_everything();
     }
     call functional_code();
   }
   else
     call crash_windows();
}

From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Apr 2010 23:55:00
Message: <web.4bb95dc4cc250ef265f302820@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> But many people don't *need* a computer. An iPad would be perfect for my
> mom. She only ever uses a web browser.

Probably the same for most older adults across the globe. It's a sad fact that
home-computer technology (and Windows, which is usually the OS by default ) is
*way* too complex for typical Mom-and-Pop uses--overkill to the n'th degree. Not
to mention the hidden arcania of typical OEM virus-protection software, and the
glitches that sometimes occur with it. And all pushed on an unknowing public by
the manufacturers. When problems occur--of *any* kind--most folks are as lost as
a child in the wilderness (which also induces a kind of 'inferiority complex'
IMO, a feeling of helplessness in the face of daunting technology; I've seen
this in friends.) Whatever happened to the idea of an EASY-to-use computer?? If
Apple *does* keep the iPad as a relatively 'simple' way of doing everyday tasks,
they may have produced the long-awaited 'machine for the rest of us.' That in
itself would be a GREAT leap forward.

Now, if they would just lower the price... ;-)

Ken

Post a reply to this message

> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> But many people don't *need* a computer. An iPad would be perfect for my
>> mom. She only ever uses a web browser.
>
> Probably the same for most older adults across the globe. It's a sad fact
> that home-computer technology (and Windows, which is usually the OS by
> default ) is *way* too complex for typical Mom-and-Pop uses--overkill to
> the n'th degree.

Well, my mom isn't a total computer noob. She uses whatever computer is
currently available and around in the house, which means she regularly
switches between Windows XP (sister's computer), OS X (dad's old laptop),
and Debian/KDE (my computer). But she doesn't really use any program other
than Firefox, or MS Office/OOo.org (only to read stuff she receives). Maybe
the iPad's features would still be overkill :)

> Not to mention the hidden arcania of typical OEM
> virus-protection software, and the glitches that sometimes occur with it.
> And all pushed on an unknowing public by the manufacturers. When problems
> occur--of *any* kind--most folks are as lost as a child in the wilderness

The Mac is the only "OEM" computer in here :)

The crap OEMs fill Windows machines with is indeed a big problem, but I
never had the chance of seeing it personally...

> Now, if they would just lower the price... ;-)

Funny how they claim the price is unbelievably low, and yet I read that they
make an obscene profit (= the *cost* is *much* lower).

Post a reply to this message

Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Well, my mom isn't a total computer noob. She uses whatever computer is
> currently available and around in the house, which means she regularly
> switches between Windows XP (sister's computer), OS X (dad's old laptop),
> and Debian/KDE (my computer). But she doesn't really use any program other
> than Firefox, or MS Office/OOo.org (only to read stuff she receives)...

Wow! Windows, OSX, Debian, Firefox--that's light-years ahead of most of my older
friends' abilities, who have a very hard time just slogging through Windows (and
whatever was initially installed on their systems.)

I started on a Mac, then switched to a Win machine. A cutting-edge friend of
mine (on a Mac) keeps me up-to-date on the Mac's OS workings. And he will
probably be the first person I know to get an iPad--then I'll be able to check
it out for free!

Ken

Post a reply to this message