POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPad: WTF, Apple? : Re: iPad: WTF, Apple? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPad: WTF, Apple?
From: Kenneth
Date: 4 Apr 2010 23:55:00
Message: <web.4bb95dc4cc250ef265f302820@news.povray.org>
Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> But many people don't *need* a computer. An iPad would be perfect for my
> mom. She only ever uses a web browser.

Probably the same for most older adults across the globe. It's a sad fact that
home-computer technology (and Windows, which is usually the OS by default ) is
*way* too complex for typical Mom-and-Pop uses--overkill to the n'th degree. Not
to mention the hidden arcania of typical OEM virus-protection software, and the
glitches that sometimes occur with it. And all pushed on an unknowing public by
the manufacturers. When problems occur--of *any* kind--most folks are as lost as
a child in the wilderness (which also induces a kind of 'inferiority complex'
IMO, a feeling of helplessness in the face of daunting technology; I've seen
this in friends.) Whatever happened to the idea of an EASY-to-use computer?? If
Apple *does* keep the iPad as a relatively 'simple' way of doing everyday tasks,
they may have produced the long-awaited 'machine for the rest of us.' That in
itself would be a GREAT leap forward.

Now, if they would just lower the price... ;-)

Ken