POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPad: WTF, Apple? : Re: iPad: WTF, Apple? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPad: WTF, Apple?
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Apr 2010 12:14:46
Message: <4bba0c76$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> Probably the same for most older adults across the globe.

On the other hand, the kids operate the computers as easily as the older
generations operate the television.  Is this really a problem worth solving,
in a corporate financial business-plan sense?

> It's a sad fact that
> home-computer technology (and Windows, which is usually the OS by default ) is
> *way* too complex for typical Mom-and-Pop uses--overkill to the n'th degree.

The problem is that anyone only uses 5% of the capabilities, but it's always
a different 5%.  Yes, firefox is easy to use. Now put that person in front
of a complex and even slightly poorly designed web app, and watch what happens.

Dad wants to hook up a photo printer, to get pictures out of the digital
camera, because you can't buy film cameras any more.  iPad? Sorry, you're
screwed.

Mom wants to print out the cross-stitch pattern that her online subscription
to the cross-stitch club provides. iPad? Sorry, you're screwed.

(These are both real examples with *my* parents, btw.)

People expect their home electronics to just *work*. You can do that by
limiting their usefulness, or by getting so many people using the same thing
that the bugs get shaken out.

I'll tell you the machine that Just Works - video game consoles.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)