POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPad: WTF, Apple? : Re: iPad: WTF, Apple? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:22:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPad: WTF, Apple?
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 5 Apr 2010 00:16:27
Message: <4bb9641b$1@news.povray.org>
Kenneth wrote:
> Nicolas Alvarez <nic### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> But many people don't *need* a computer. An iPad would be perfect for my
>> mom. She only ever uses a web browser.
>
> Probably the same for most older adults across the globe. It's a sad fact
> that home-computer technology (and Windows, which is usually the OS by
> default ) is *way* too complex for typical Mom-and-Pop uses--overkill to
> the n'th degree.

Well, my mom isn't a total computer noob. She uses whatever computer is
currently available and around in the house, which means she regularly
switches between Windows XP (sister's computer), OS X (dad's old laptop),
and Debian/KDE (my computer). But she doesn't really use any program other
than Firefox, or MS Office/OOo.org (only to read stuff she receives). Maybe
the iPad's features would still be overkill :)

> Not to mention the hidden arcania of typical OEM
> virus-protection software, and the glitches that sometimes occur with it.
> And all pushed on an unknowing public by the manufacturers. When problems
> occur--of *any* kind--most folks are as lost as a child in the wilderness

The Mac is the only "OEM" computer in here :)

The crap OEMs fill Windows machines with is indeed a big problem, but I
never had the chance of seeing it personally...

> Now, if they would just lower the price... ;-)

Funny how they claim the price is unbelievably low, and yet I read that they
make an obscene profit (= the *cost* is *much* lower).