POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : iPad: WTF, Apple? : Re: iPad: WTF, Apple? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:19:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: iPad: WTF, Apple?
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Apr 2010 13:07:36
Message: <4bba18d8$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Dad wants to hook up a photo printer, to get pictures out of the digital
>> camera, because you can't buy film cameras any more.  iPad? Sorry, you're
>> screwed.
>
>> Mom wants to print out the cross-stitch pattern that her online subscription
>> to the cross-stitch club provides. iPad? Sorry, you're screwed.
>
>> (These are both real examples with *my* parents, btw.)
>
>   Arguing that a device cannot do something it was never even designed to
> do in the first place is rather silly.

I'm not. I'm simply arguing the old chestnut that "all the old folks want is
something to read email and surf the web."  (Not even adding the snark of it
not supporting Flash anyway.)

I was answering the

 >> If Apple *does* keep the iPad as a relatively 'simple' way of
 >> doing everyday tasks,

comment, pointing out that it *isn't* capable of doing everyday tasks, any
more than your TV or your PS3 is.

>   The iPad is not a laptop. Don't expect it to work like a laptop.

I'm not. I'm simply pointing out that I think it's too limited to do what
people without a computer want to do with computers.  It's not a laptop, it
doesn't work like a laptop, therefore it's not a suitable substitute to give
to your grandparents in place of a laptop.

>> I'll tell you the machine that Just Works - video game consoles.
>
>   You don't expect consoles to work like laptops. Why do you expect the iPad
> to work like a laptop?

Of course not. Are you suggesting that people too old to easily deal with
the complexity of a laptop will be content with using a video game console
because it's easier to use?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Yes, we're traveling together,