POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dimensions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:27:10 EDT (-0400)
  Dimensions (Message 71 to 80 of 105)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Dimensions
Date: 13 Jan 2010 15:06:22
Message: <4b4e27be@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 19:35:00 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 13 Jan 2010 14:26:01 +0000, Invisible wrote:
>>
>>> I still find it quite impressive that a CAR, which is made of METAL
>>> and powered by EXPLODING PETROL, can apparently be out-accelerated by
>>> a cheetah, which is MADE OF MEAT. Then again, an adult cheetah
>>> probably weighs significantly less than an Audi TT...
>>
>> It's all about the power to weight ratio. :-)
>
> Finally, somebody correctly identifies the issue... sheesh.

Well, the others had good ideas as well - grip seems an important thing,
too - power on a ice vs. power on pavement end up with two vastly
different results.. :-)

Or was that sarcasm? ;-)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Jan 2010 15:32:51
Message: <4b4e2df3$1@news.povray.org>
>> Finally, somebody correctly identifies the issue... sheesh.
>
> Well, the others had good ideas as well - grip seems an important thing,
> too - power on a ice vs. power on pavement end up with two vastly
> different results.. :-)
>
> Or was that sarcasm? ;-)

Power is nothing without control, 'tis true. But most cars (and animals)
don't really have much of a problem with traction. The glaringly obvious
thing about fast animals (including the cheetah) is that they weigh
approximately nothing. Hell, fast cars tend to have the exact same
property! Except they're made of metal, which is strong, but quite heavy.

Of course, a cheetah can out-accelerate most cars, but has limited top
speed and severely limited endurance. But then again, if it doesn't kill
something in 90 seconds or so, the animal it's chasing won't give it
enough food to be worth continuing the chase anyway.

I gather the cheetah is limited primarily by overheating. Then again, it
leaves in a freakin' desert wilderness, after all...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/