POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dimensions : Re: Dimensions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dimensions
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Jan 2010 04:42:23
Message: <4b4ee6ff@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> Power is nothing without control, 'tis true. But most cars (and
>> animals) don't really have much of a problem with traction.
>
> Have you seen cats on hardwood floors? (they slip a lot)

Or lino.

But then, domestic cats didn't evolve for that environment. There *are*
in fact animals which regularly hunt on sheets of ice, and they have
special adaptations to increase traction. (That said, none of them is
anywhere near as fast as a cheetah. But you might argue that's due to
lack of available fuel...)

> Or someone flooring it in a car from a standstill? (the wheels spin a lot)
>
> I suspect the cheetah is so fast at accelerating because its claws can
> dig into the ground to get traction.

And not because, oh, I don't know, it's 100x smaller mass has
significantly lower inertia to overcome in the first place?