POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Dimensions : Re: Dimensions Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Dimensions
From: Eero Ahonen
Date: 13 Jan 2010 23:22:30
Message: <4b4e9c06$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Power is nothing without control, 'tis true. But most cars (and animals)
> don't really have much of a problem with traction. The glaringly obvious
> thing about fast animals (including the cheetah) is that they weigh
> approximately nothing. Hell, fast cars tend to have the exact same
> property! Except they're made of metal, which is strong, but quite heavy.

Have you ever actually driven anything more powerful than the 1.6i? With
the traditional 1-wheel drive grip practically somewhere around 150hp
starts to make an effect (depending on the car, of course), even on
clean asphalt. Around 250-300hp you'll really start missing 4wd when
accelerating from standing position. Remember that the cheetah can take
practically ~full power to its legs right from the start (and to the
ground also). On nature films I've never seen a cheetah to "sping the
feet". Now, if the cheetah would be on clear ice, it would be a bit
different...

Yes. Even when you have the power-to-weight -ratio, to accelerate a car
like a cheetah you'll need enormous traction, an amount that actually is
incredible.

-Aero