POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle Server Time
8 Oct 2024 18:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  Geometric puzzle (Message 41 to 50 of 201)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Geometric puzzle
Date: 16 Dec 2009 08:15:50
Message: <4b28dd86$1@news.povray.org>
Vincent Le Chevalier wrote:

> I like how you try to demonstrate how something we see a picture of is
> in fact impossible to do :-)

Heh, well, it's impossibly by drawing polygon edges one at a time. Maybe
there's some other way of doing this which is, in fact, possible?

Post a reply to this message

From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 16 Dec 2009 08:20:33
Message: <op.u408onoe7bxctx@bigfrog.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:34:23 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>  I thought all games used per-pixel lighting now?
>
> Apparently HL2 doesn't.

Yes, it does.

> (They've upgraded the Source engine several times since then, so maybe
> it does now. I doubt it.)

It did from the start, just like pretty much every other game from the
last five years.

> Look at the belt. It's circular. Ever tried drawing a circle using
> pencil and paper? (Hint: It's physically impossible.) Sure, you can move
> the verticies around after you've drawn them. But it would still be
> hopelessly hard to arrange 80 points into a near-perfect curve like that.

Do you seriously believe that the modeling software does not help you
place things on a circle?

> And that's just making the outline; next you have to somehow model the
> height of the belt, not to mention its thickness.

Those are fairly trivial operations.

> Impossibility upon impossibility.

You use that word a lot, but I do not think you know what it means.

> Also... no triangles. Only quadrilaterals, as far as I can tell.

Most modelers these days can handle quads, and indeed prefer them over
triangles.

--
FE

Post a reply to this message

> Look at the belt. It's circular. Ever tried drawing a circle using pencil
> and paper? (Hint: It's physically impossible.) Sure, you can move the
> verticies around after you've drawn them. But it would still be hopelessly
> hard to arrange 80 points into a near-perfect curve like that.

"Add -> Circle" and work from there?

> And that's just making the outline; next you have to somehow model the
> height of the belt,

"Edit -> Extrude" until it looks about the right height?

> not to mention its thickness.

"Edit -> Extrude" until it looks about the right thickness?

> Impossibility upon impossibility.

If it's impossible how come a relatively novice Blender user can do what you
just described in under 30 seconds?

Post a reply to this message

>>>  I thought all games used per-pixel lighting now?
>>
>> Apparently HL2 doesn't.
>
> Yes, it does.
>
>> (They've upgraded the Source engine several times since then, so maybe
>> it does now. I doubt it.)
>
> It did from the start, just like pretty much every other game from the
> last five years.

OK, well... In level one, where you meet Barney and he walks past the
light fitting, why does the shading follow the polygons in the character
mesh?

>> Look at the belt. It's circular. Ever tried drawing a circle using
>> pencil and paper? (Hint: It's physically impossible.)
>
> Do you seriously believe that the modeling software does not help you
> place things on a circle?

Maybe it'll draw a perfect circle or even an ellipse for you. But this
is neither. It's more of a "stadium" shape, following the contours of
the human hips.

>> And that's just making the outline; next you have to somehow model the
>> height of the belt, not to mention its thickness.
>
> Those are fairly trivial operations.

Sure. Drawing hundreds of polygons with perfectly parallel surfaces is
drop-dead easy.

If they're aligned to the coordinate axies. :-P

>> Impossibility upon impossibility.
>
> You use that word a lot, but I do not think you know what it means.

I mean "impossible" in the same sense that it's "impossible" to throw a
dart at dart board and hit a particular atom with the point. Technically
if you throw the dart there is a finite, non-zero probability of hitting
that specific atom. But given the radius of such an atom, the
probability is so utterly minute as to be considered zero for any
imaginable real-world purpose.

Theoretically, I could type some random numbers into my PC and
accidentally enter an exact description of this polygon mesh. But what
are the chances of it happening? Pretty tiny. Much like the probability
of being able to draw this thing one dot at a time. :-P

>> Also... no triangles. Only quadrilaterals, as far as I can tell.
>
> Most modelers these days can handle quads, and indeed prefer them over
> triangles.

That, at least, makes sense. (And quads would seem easier for a human to
draw...)

Post a reply to this message