POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle : Re: Geometric puzzle Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:25:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geometric puzzle
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 16 Dec 2009 08:20:33
Message: <op.u408onoe7bxctx@bigfrog.bredbandsbolaget.se>
On Wed, 16 Dec 2009 13:34:23 +0100, Invisible <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
>>  I thought all games used per-pixel lighting now?
>
> Apparently HL2 doesn't.

Yes, it does.

> (They've upgraded the Source engine several times since then, so maybe
> it does now. I doubt it.)

It did from the start, just like pretty much every other game from the
last five years.

> Look at the belt. It's circular. Ever tried drawing a circle using
> pencil and paper? (Hint: It's physically impossible.) Sure, you can move
> the verticies around after you've drawn them. But it would still be
> hopelessly hard to arrange 80 points into a near-perfect curve like that.

Do you seriously believe that the modeling software does not help you
place things on a circle?

> And that's just making the outline; next you have to somehow model the
> height of the belt, not to mention its thickness.

Those are fairly trivial operations.

> Impossibility upon impossibility.

You use that word a lot, but I do not think you know what it means.

> Also... no triangles. Only quadrilaterals, as far as I can tell.

Most modelers these days can handle quads, and indeed prefer them over
triangles.

--
FE