POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle : Re: Geometric puzzle Server Time
8 Oct 2024 20:24:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geometric puzzle
From: Invisible
Date: 16 Dec 2009 09:31:19
Message: <4b28ef37$1@news.povray.org>
>>> "Add -> Circle" and work from there?
>>
>> Except that, as I mentioned, it's not perfectly circular.
>
> Tweak a few of the vertices by hand then before you extrude.  There's
> only 16 or so of them that define the curve.

Are you nuts? I count at least 49 points in the curve, not 16. There's
no way you can place almost 50 points in 3D space with such perfection.
Placing just six points in a 2D circle is almost impossibly difficult,
so 50 is clearly well beyond possibility.

>> And the tapered end?
>
> After you've extruded, select 4 vertices around the belt and scale them.

Since when can you scale just one vertics?

>> The beveled edges?
>
> Select the edge and set the crease amount to non-zero.  Or select an
> edge and do a "loop cut" if you want more control.

I have no idea what you're talking about, but OK.

>> The slight deformations along the Y-axis?
>
> Drag around the base points of your circle in step 1 before the extrusions.

You can extrude a non-planar shape?

>> (Also, is it just me, or does the buckle self-intersect?)
>
> Probably he knows once it gets smoothed by the sub-surface algorithm it
> won't intersect anymore.

Fair enough.

>> The belt also presumably has to be curved in *the exact same way* as
>> the waistline it's supposed to fit around - which is also impossible.
>
> Ever heard of copy and paste?  Just copy some points from the waist
> model to start with rather than using a circle.

Well, I guess that would explain that. (Although the belt still needs to
be *larger* than the waist. Maybe just scaled a little?) Still doesn't
explain how it's possible to construct the trousers in the first place
of course...

>> You drew this in 30 seconds?
>
> Similar, yes.  See attached version which includes the things I
> mentioned above (I used a circle as the base though, I don't have a
> human model handy), this took about 2 minutes.

Then you have managed to create something in 2 minutes which is
dramatically more complex than any mesh object I have ever created in my
entire life with any 3D product, ever.