POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:27:18 EDT (-0400)
  Geometric puzzle (Message 142 to 151 of 201)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Geometric puzzle
Date: 17 Dec 2009 10:57:25
Message: <4b2a54e5$1@news.povray.org>
> Depends on exactly which way it isn't perfectly cylindrical in.

How about simply a stretched cylinder, ie an extruded ellipse.  You can't
simply scale the torus or cone otherwise the radius/bevel will not be
constant around the perimeter.

As well as having elliptical buttons, the top surface of the buttons on my
phone are also curved (concave inwards).  I suppose you could model this in
POV by subtracting a big sphere from the extruded oval.  But how to do the
rounded edge then?  Matching up a round with the vertical sides (actually
they're slightly off-vertical) of the button with the curved top surface
doesn't sound very easy to me.

> Really, you can go a seriously long way using only quadratics and CSG.

Do you have any examples?

> Think about it - if you wanted to model the Natural History Museum, would
> you built it out of a few quadrillion triangles? Or just cut a few solids
> out of each other? I know what I'd choose...

And I know which one would look like a photo-realistic model and which one
would look like a few solids cut out of each other :-)

> Mmm, interesting. In all the years I've been using POV-Ray, I've never
> actually noticed that before...

I didn't realise it either until I got into designing stuff that people will
actually see (as opposed to internal components).  Most companies will
reject any curvature discontinuities.

Post a reply to this message