POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Geometric puzzle : Re: Geometric puzzle Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Geometric puzzle
From: nemesis
Date: 17 Dec 2009 11:18:50
Message: <4b2a59ea@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> scott wrote:
>> Mabye I just suck at POV?  I just made this in Blender (sorry for JPEG
>> compression, shouldn't have chosen red!), it has *9* vertices,
>> followed by two mirror modifiers and the subdivision modifier.  Total
>> time about 10 mins, including adding some lights and materials.  No
>> way I could achieve the same in SDL, even in 1 hour.
>
> That is actually quite impressive. Normally you'd have to model
> something like this with blobs. I have no idea how it's possible to
> construct this in a single human lifetime using only straight edges.

Much easier than modelling the base.

Forget the straight edges:  for the millionth time, he's using a
subsurface division modifier on top of the base simple mesh.  There's no
hard edges to be seen anywhere because there's loads of very small
polygons tessalating the entire surface because of that.  Real curve or
not, it looks as good as real curved surface.  Yeah, even if there were
reflections.

> I just spent about an hour trying to make a torus in Blender. (Obviously
> you can just click "insert torus", but I wanted to see if it's
> physically possible to make one manually.) Suffice it to say most of
> that time was just spent trying to force Blender to do what I actually
> want it to do.

Like adding a circle object, going into edit mode, grabbing it some 1
unit to the left, changing view to front and using the spin button to
have it spin around the y axis?

> I guess the thing about Blender is that it forces you to think in terms
> of surfaces, while POV-Ray allows you to think in terms of *volumes*,
> which is far more natural.

Natural or not, I've been far more productive within a few weeks of
Blender than in my whole 10 or so years of pov SDL.  It's a marvel how
I've gone from RSOCP's or little more than that to realistic-looking
settings with real-world objects in such small time, kinda like a rupture.

I was a SDL-only guy once, but I don't find it any worth today except to
assemble and script scenes out of polygon-modelled objects.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9