POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:19:29 EDT (-0400)
  Trivial trigonometry (Message 51 to 60 of 178)
From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Trivial trigonometry
Date: 30 Nov 2009 09:09:29
Message: <4b13d219$1@news.povray.org>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Guisard_-_Milky_Way.jpg

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 30 Nov 2009 10:41:34
Message: <4b13e7ae$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I can only presume this must be due to light pollution.

You need to go out someplace like 50 miles from the nearest street light.
It's really rather overwhelming.

> Well, photons are quantum, right?

I'm not sure you'd see a point source. You need enough surface that the
likelihood of multiple photons reaching your eye in a short interval is
positive.

> (Interestingly, I'm told it *is* possible to make a light source that
> emits individual photons, one at a time, on que. And that when you do
> this, things like the double-slit experiment still show multiple waves
> interferring and reinforcing - despite this being obviously
> impossible... Wave-particle duality is weird!)

It's only impossible if you think the interference is caused by waves, which
it isn't.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)