POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Nov 2009 11:13:15
Message: <4b13ef1b$1@news.povray.org>
> City lights are annoying here, but
> that picture looks like what I grew up seeing.

I have never, ever, in my entire life, seen anything that remotely
approximates this, except on TV and in posters. Every time I see
something like this in films it looks like over the top CG, because real
skies never, ever look like this.

It's quite impressive driving home, actually. By the time you reach
Weedon, you can already tell where MK is because one entire side of the
sky is bright orange. (I have no idea how far it is from Weedon to MK,
but it's surely more than 10 miles.)

If you approach from the south, there's high ground that way. As you
come down the hill, you can see the entire city laid out before you. It
looks utterly huge. It seems to extend from one horizon to the other.
(Obviously an effect of the terrain and it's slope.) And the entire
thing is glowing.

I don't know about you, but when I look up at the orange horizon when
I'm more than 10 miles away, I wonder what the HELL the council's
electricity bill must be, and how much of the light we're paying for is
leaking uselessly into the sky rather than illuminating the streets...
Surely there's some more-efficient way to do this?