POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:23:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Nov 2009 10:59:50
Message: <4b13ebf6$1@news.povray.org>
>> I can only presume this must be due to light pollution.
>
> You need to go out someplace like 50 miles from the nearest street
> light. It's really rather overwhelming.

I don't know if any such place exists in the UK. Unless maybe you sail
50 miles out to sea...

>> Well, photons are quantum, right?
>
> I'm not sure you'd see a point source. You need enough surface that the
> likelihood of multiple photons reaching your eye in a short interval is
> positive.

I doubt your eyes can see single photons anyway...

>> (Interestingly, I'm told it *is* possible to make a light source that
>> emits individual photons, one at a time, on que. And that when you do
>> this, things like the double-slit experiment still show multiple waves
>> interferring and reinforcing - despite this being obviously
>> impossible... Wave-particle duality is weird!)
>
> It's only impossible if you think the interference is caused by waves,
> which it isn't.

Well, the books seem to claim that it *is* caused by waves, but they
babble some nonesense about a "quantum superposition of states" to make
up for the fact that this explanation makes no sense at all.