POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : blank CD-R media rot? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:23:36 EDT (-0400)
  blank CD-R media rot? (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: clipka
Subject: blank CD-R media rot?
Date: 15 Nov 2009 21:04:22
Message: <4b00b326@news.povray.org>
Okay, so I burned that CD-ROM image four times now - twice on my Windows
machine using CDBurnerXP, and twice on my Linux box using GnomeBaker,
using various different speeds (last one at 1x). Wouldn't it be prudent
to expect at least *one* copy to be good?

The only common things between the attempts (aside from the image in
question of course, which is ok according to md5 checksum) are (a) the
CD/DVD writer brand (both are LG, maybe even same model), and (b) the
CD-R media brand and batch.

Last time I burned a CD-R was about a year ago. The CD-Rs are from the
very same batch I used successfully back then, and they're still good to
read. Is there something like "media rot" with CD-Rs specifically
regarding being good for burning?

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 03:03:44 +0100, clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> Okay, so I burned that CD-ROM image four times now - twice on my Windows
> machine using CDBurnerXP, and twice on my Linux box using GnomeBaker,
> using various different speeds (last one at 1x). Wouldn't it be prudent
> to expect at least *one* copy to be good?
>
> The only common things between the attempts (aside from the image in
> question of course, which is ok according to md5 checksum) are (a) the
> CD/DVD writer brand (both are LG, maybe even same model), and (b) the
> CD-R media brand and batch.

1. Some models of burners do not work well with some brands/batches of
discs.

2. Some brands/batches of discs are simply crap.

--
FE

Post a reply to this message