POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : blank CD-R media rot? : Re: blank CD-R media rot? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blank CD-R media rot?
From: Fredrik Eriksson
Date: 16 Nov 2009 07:40:44
Message: <op.u3hmt6i17bxctx@e6600>
On Mon, 16 Nov 2009 05:00:02 +0100, clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> Well, I'm using Verbatim media; I'd guess they're pretty common,

Verbatim is usually the safest choice, but even they produce the
occasional bad disc.

> and rated at "56x" (though I guess that's for reading only),

The rating is always for writing.

> so I'd be surprised if the burner wouldn't work with them reasonably
> at least at /some/ speed (I even went as low as 1x, but ironically
> that's when the burner ran into an error GnomeBaker categorized as
> "looks like buffer underrun").

Burn speed can have quite an impact on the stability of the burned data.
Never burn at 56x; personally I would not go over 16x unless I planned to
only use the disc once. However, modern discs and drives generally do not
fare well with the lowest speeds either. Try to find a middle ground, like
8x or 16x depending on the burner; you do not want to push the burner to
its limits either.

> And as for the discs, I had used up half of the cakebox already without
> any trouble.

It is not unheard of to get a few bad ones in a row; it has happened to me
as well. A small hiccup in the manufacturing process probably.

--
FE