POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : blank CD-R media rot? : Re: blank CD-R media rot? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blank CD-R media rot?
From: scott
Date: 16 Nov 2009 03:55:20
Message: <4b011378@news.povray.org>
> This looks like a case of "dirty CD/DVD recorder". Try to open it and
> gently clean the lens with cotton and some alcohol for about 30 secs, then
> with a dry tissue or peace of cotton "dry" it. It should work now, if this
> doesn't work, then probably the device "expired". IMO LG burners are the
> best they're, at least in my Country Bolivia.

Yeh this is really rubbish - I cannot remember the number of CD/DVD drives
I've had that have just lost the ability to burn or read discs.  Usually
cleaning like you say helps for a bit, but they die eventually.  Maybe the
room I keep my PC in is just too dusty, or I don't use the drives enough?  I
wonder if optical media will die at some point and we can just use solid
state memory?