POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : blank CD-R media rot? : Re: blank CD-R media rot? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: blank CD-R media rot?
From: TC
Date: 16 Nov 2009 11:15:57
Message: <4b017abd@news.povray.org>
How do you know burning the image did not work?

Did you use the "verify" option of your burning program and did it fail? If
so, try to eject the DVD and let it cool for a few minutes and then try
again.

Or did you just try to use the burned DVD and it did not work? Then maybe
the original image-file contains crap. Had this once, burned an image file,
tried to open it, it did not work. Did it again, still did not work. Then
looked at the image file using DAEMON tools and found that the data mastered
in the DVD-image was invalid - the image file was OK, though.

Apart from this, if store CD/DVD improperly you can damage them. Never
expose them to direct sunlight for any long period of time, never store them
where it is too hot or too dusty.

Be careful where you put them - I once stacked some CD-R's one on the other.
After a few years the cd-label marker I had used to label the CD-R diffused
from the up-side of the bottom CD surface into the underside of the CD on
top. I was lucky and the data was still readable, but this was a valuable
lesson of "how NOT to do it".