POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the problems with the Blender UI Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:24:49 EDT (-0400)
  One of the problems with the Blender UI (Message 21 to 30 of 51)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: One of the problems with the Blender UI
Date: 10 Nov 2009 12:16:43
Message: <4af99ffb@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen escreveu:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>> Stefan Viljoen wrote:
>>> I wonder if the upcoming 2.5 revamp is going to make it much easier or
>>> harder, and how well existing Blender experience will translate for users
>>> who must now use a new interface...
>> I must say, I was quite amused how one video talking about it said how
>> very cool it was that you could right-click on a button and tell it to
>> show you the documentation for it, like this wasn't technology back in
>> Win3.1. :-)
>
> That's the thing! Read on their site the other day that the core Windowing
> system is based on some Atari ST (!) GUI library of twelve or fifteen years
> ago... so no surprise that such modern GUI features aren't there yet.

Funnily enough, it seems Microsoft Excell 2009 doesn't show offer you
Help among the options when you right-click any of its "ribbon" buttons.
  BTW, pretty much all 3D modellers are not based on overlapping windows.

> Hmm... never thought of it like that. I've used it a little bit and find it
> mostly useful and easy for constructing simple, odd geometry that would be
> hard or impossible (for me) to do with Pov code. But its textures and
> materials system I find -extremely- confusing and hard to understand. Never
> mind the "NLA" editor, and the real hard-core stuff like rigging and
> animation is completely indecipherable. But then, I've not really invested
> REAL time (years) to get to learn all of that. And some people (admittedly
> more dogged, hard-working and / or intelligent maybe?) can do AmAzInG stuff
> with it. I was blown away by the sheer quality of Elephant's Dream and Big
> Buck Bunny, but then, as you say, it was basically core contributors that
> did that, and were real hard-core blend-heads.

Here's an animation done by a brazilian Blender n00b:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_FMYYcbnsM
http://www.blender.com.br/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=10&func=view&id=8822&catid=5&limit=10&limitstart=0

yes, it's ugly for today's standards, but I myself can't even start to
imagine how he did pull it off...

here's a much nicer one, from another brazilian guy:
http://www.epifania.art.br/

See Subtitled Short.

Point is that enoughly motivated people can do wonders with Blender if
they just sit to learn to use it rather than complain of perceived
limitations.  Isn't it true for everything we do, actually?  C
programming, anyone? short code Povray?...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9

Post a reply to this message

> Funnily enough, it seems Microsoft Excell 2009 doesn't show offer you
> Help among the options when you right-click any of its "ribbon" buttons.

I was referring to the little "question mark" icon up next to the minimize,
maximize, and close buttons that used to be there. That's exactly how that
icon is supposed to work - click on it, then click on what you want help for.

>  BTW, pretty much all 3D modellers are not based on overlapping windows.

I think the output is fine. It's the input that's a PITA with blender. :-)

> yes, it's ugly for today's standards, but I myself can't even start to
> imagine how he did pull it off...

Having used Blender, it's not incomprehensible. Lots of character animation,
lots of physics. That's the nice thing about blender, is it puts all that
together.

> Point is that enoughly motivated people can do wonders with Blender if
> they just sit to learn to use it rather than complain of perceived
> limitations.  Isn't it true for everything we do, actually?  C
> programming, anyone? short code Povray?...

Well, it's not "perceived" limitations. It's real live everyone-agrees
limitations. Just because you can build a pyramid with enough slaves doesn't
mean that other tools couldn't be better.

I *did* learn Blender, enough to consistently run into bugs in Blender that
aren't in other packages that do the same sorts of things. The interface is
awful, it's mostly undocumented, and it's *still* the most powerful package
out there for the sorts of things I want to do. It's just a shame that if I
stop modeling for six months I have to start over from scratch on the
learning curve for a program that I haven't changed.  And *that* is
objectively a sign of a bad UI.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)

> I *did* learn Blender, enough to consistently run into bugs in Blender
> that aren't in other packages that do the same sorts of things. The
> interface is awful, it's mostly undocumented

I disagree.  It's probably much more documented than most other free
tools out there, thanks to tons of community generated tutorials,
video-tutorials, wiki entries, wiki learning trails etc.  "Manual does
not come with the software" is not meaningful in this day and age when
the every PC comes with "the internet".  And the proper links are just
there in Blender's Help menu.

>, and it's *still* the most
> powerful package out there for the sorts of things I want to do. It's
> just a shame that if I stop modeling for six months I have to start over
> from scratch on the learning curve for a program that I haven't
> changed.  And *that* is objectively a sign of a bad UI.

or a sign of way too much features.  Kinda like C++... :) (it's a joke,
Warp)...