POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the problems with the Blender UI : Re: One of the problems with the Blender UI Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:18:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One of the problems with the Blender UI
From: nemesis
Date: 10 Nov 2009 12:16:43
Message: <4af99ffb@news.povray.org>
Stefan Viljoen escreveu:
> Darren New wrote:
>
>> Stefan Viljoen wrote:
>>> I wonder if the upcoming 2.5 revamp is going to make it much easier or
>>> harder, and how well existing Blender experience will translate for users
>>> who must now use a new interface...
>> I must say, I was quite amused how one video talking about it said how
>> very cool it was that you could right-click on a button and tell it to
>> show you the documentation for it, like this wasn't technology back in
>> Win3.1. :-)
>
> That's the thing! Read on their site the other day that the core Windowing
> system is based on some Atari ST (!) GUI library of twelve or fifteen years
> ago... so no surprise that such modern GUI features aren't there yet.

Funnily enough, it seems Microsoft Excell 2009 doesn't show offer you
Help among the options when you right-click any of its "ribbon" buttons.
  BTW, pretty much all 3D modellers are not based on overlapping windows.

> Hmm... never thought of it like that. I've used it a little bit and find it
> mostly useful and easy for constructing simple, odd geometry that would be
> hard or impossible (for me) to do with Pov code. But its textures and
> materials system I find -extremely- confusing and hard to understand. Never
> mind the "NLA" editor, and the real hard-core stuff like rigging and
> animation is completely indecipherable. But then, I've not really invested
> REAL time (years) to get to learn all of that. And some people (admittedly
> more dogged, hard-working and / or intelligent maybe?) can do AmAzInG stuff
> with it. I was blown away by the sheer quality of Elephant's Dream and Big
> Buck Bunny, but then, as you say, it was basically core contributors that
> did that, and were real hard-core blend-heads.

Here's an animation done by a brazilian Blender n00b:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_FMYYcbnsM
http://www.blender.com.br/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=10&func=view&id=8822&catid=5&limit=10&limitstart=0

yes, it's ugly for today's standards, but I myself can't even start to
imagine how he did pull it off...

here's a much nicer one, from another brazilian guy:
http://www.epifania.art.br/

See Subtitled Short.

Point is that enoughly motivated people can do wonders with Blender if
they just sit to learn to use it rather than complain of perceived
limitations.  Isn't it true for everything we do, actually?  C
programming, anyone? short code Povray?...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9