POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the problems with the Blender UI : Re: One of the problems with the Blender UI Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One of the problems with the Blender UI
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Nov 2009 13:15:25
Message: <4af9adbd$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
> Darren New escreveu:
>> I *did* learn Blender, enough to consistently run into bugs in Blender
>> that aren't in other packages that do the same sorts of things. The
>> interface is awful, it's mostly undocumented
>
> I disagree.  It's probably much more documented than most other free
> tools out there, thanks to tons of community generated tutorials,
> video-tutorials, wiki entries, wiki learning trails etc.

I'll have to just disagree. There are lots of tutorials out there, but the
reference manuals are pretty poor, especially for the more complex stuff.
Most of the interface is fairly undocumented.

Contrast with (for example) Wings3D or POV-Ray, where there's actually a
reference manual where you can say "What does this button do" or "how do I
get reflection to work?"  Figuring out how to make a surface transparent
shouldn't require 20 minutes of groping around the internet. It should
require 20 seconds of grepping for "transparent" in the user manual. I mean,
face it, if the reference material for Blender was good, it wouldn't be an
exciting selling point that you can get help on what buttons do in the next
version.

(Yes, I recognise it's FOSS. I'm not saying it's someone's responsibility to
do this. I'm saying that's the facts, regardless of why. And that's why I
find blender unusable for even simple things. Maybe I'll try ramping up
again, one more time, just to see if I can model something simple I want to
model.)

> And the proper links are just there in Blender's Help menu.

Not really. Again, contrast with POV-Ray, for example.

> or a sign of way too much features.  Kinda like C++... :) (it's a joke,
> Warp)...

I think they do a decent job of stuffing a whole lot of features into little
space. The abbreviations are awful, things aren't well explained in the UI,
etc, but the windowing technology does an OK job of making a whole lot of
options available, it seems.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)