POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One of the problems with the Blender UI : Re: One of the problems with the Blender UI Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:22:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One of the problems with the Blender UI
From: Darren New
Date: 10 Nov 2009 16:28:01
Message: <4af9dae1$1@news.povray.org>

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Materials/Properties/Raytraced_Transparency

> pretty quick and direct to the point.  If that doesn't suffice, google it.

I'm pretty sure that wasn't there back in February when I was looking for
how to do this stuff. :-)

> So, there the enthusiastic guy can
> see right in front of his eye a Mirror Trans panel with "Ray Mirror" or
> "Ray Transp" options.

Yeah, because it's real clear what that means, and what object it has to be
applied to. :-)  I think I spent most of those 20 minutes trying to figure
out how to get shadows to cooperate with transparency. I had a transparent
ball and a pitch-black shadow, and it took a long time to figure out the
shadow adjustments had to be made to the floor, not the thing casting
shadows.  Or something like that.  It was overall pretty frustrating.

>> why. And that's why I find blender unusable for even simple things.
>
> Well, you may find it unusable, but the Blender n00b made some
> impressive animation with it all by himself.
>
> Come to think about it, I've seen some broken but impressive Blender
> physics simulation from you before, but nothing of povray.  Surely
> povray is not that much more unusable, right?

I have a bunch of povray stuff. It's more interactive, so I didn't really
post it anywhere. One bunch is up on sourceforge under the "LOME" project,
for example.

POV-Ray is hard to use for reasons entirely beside the UI or documentation,
but because of its inherent nature. :-)

>> Maybe I'll try ramping up again, one more time, just to see if I can
>> model something simple I want to model.
>
> Some people can only draw sticky figures no matter the pencil.

Yep. That's me. I shamelessly admit I have no talent along those lines.
That's why I like architectural drawings - it's pretty easy to get a room to
be square with any package. ;-)

> Complaining that the pencil is not as smooth as other pencil
> will bring you nothing except headache.

I'm not complaining. I'm making observations. Complaining would imply I
expected some result. :-)

> I don't see the difference behind too-many-stuff syndrome.  The fact
> that neither of these Blender documents are physically local to your PC
> is meaningless.

That wasn't what I was complaining about. For one, I suspect someone wrote a
bunch of manual over the summer for Blender that wasn't there when I was
playing with it before. (The whole "Summer of Documentation" effort sort of
thing, you know.)

It's also probably, to some extent, the number of things that Blender can
do. As I said, I got OK-comfortable with it after a while, just fiddling
around with it. A lot of it was trying to get it to do stuff that's just
broken, because that's the interesting part for me, since I don't really
have a whole lot of artistic talent.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)