POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Timeline Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Timeline (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Invisible
Subject: Timeline
Date: 21 Oct 2009 05:36:41
Message: <4aded629@news.povray.org>
I've got a list of events and the dates when they happened. Any idea how
to get Excel to plot these events in a chart?

Post a reply to this message

From: Invisible
Subject: Re: Timeline
Date: 21 Oct 2009 06:47:02
Message: <4adee6a6$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> I've got a list of events and the dates when they happened. Any idea how
> to get Excel to plot these events in a chart?

It turns out that if you have the labels in column A and the dates in
column B and you do an XY Scatter Plot, and turn on data labels, it does
sort-of the right thing.

However, nothing in hell will convince it to put the dates on the X
axis. If you put the data that way round, it spazzes out and doesn't
know how to plot the data any more. So I'm stuck with the dates on the Y
axis. *sigh*

(You also have to manually sort by date if you want a decent plot. It's
also fun trying to get the labels to not overlap...)

Post a reply to this message

> It turns out that if you have the labels in column A and the dates in
> column B and you do an XY Scatter Plot, and turn on data labels, it does
> sort-of the right thing.
>
> However, nothing in hell will convince it to put the dates on the X axis.
> If you put the data that way round, it spazzes out and doesn't know how to
> plot the data any more. So I'm stuck with the dates on the Y axis. *sigh*

You can do an XY plot and set the X axis manually to be your date column,
you then get the attached.  Is that what you want?

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'image1.png' (8 KB)

Preview of image 'image1.png'
image1.png

> I've got a list of events and the dates when they happened. Any idea how
> to get Excel to plot these events in a chart?

I once made some Gannt charts in 123 by making stacked bar charts. The first
stack plotted the start date, and I made that invisible (white). The second one
was the end date. I think I also had to play around with the date format-- like
type in 5-digit integers in the spreadsheet to get the date I wanted to show up
on the chart in date format.

Post a reply to this message

>> It turns out that if you have the labels in column A and the dates in
>> column B and you do an XY Scatter Plot, and turn on data labels, it
>> does sort-of the right thing.
>>
>> However, nothing in hell will convince it to put the dates on the X
>> axis. If you put the data that way round, it spazzes out and doesn't
>> know how to plot the data any more. So I'm stuck with the dates on the
>> Y axis. *sigh*
>
> You can do an XY plot and set the X axis manually to be your date
> column, you then get the attached.  Is that what you want?

That's more or less what I want. (But with the names of the events on
the dots.)

Post a reply to this message

> I once made some Gannt charts in 123 by making stacked bar charts. The first
> stack plotted the start date, and I made that invisible (white). The second one
> was the end date. I think I also had to play around with the date format-- like
> type in 5-digit integers in the spreadsheet to get the date I wanted to show up
> on the chart in date format.

Yeah, I thought about a bar chart. I hadn't thought of using invisible
bars in front though...

Post a reply to this message