POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I have a great idea! Server Time
5 Sep 2024 13:11:15 EDT (-0400)
  I have a great idea! (Message 11 to 20 of 37)
From: nemesis
Subject: Re: I have a great idea!
Date: 23 Aug 2009 21:25:00
Message: <web.4a91eb494a01fade3823a23d0@news.povray.org>
> nemesis schrieb:
> > Completely mindblowing, specially the later scenes! o_O That's why V-Ray is top
> > today, without even resorting to unbiased algorithms.
>
> Sure it's unbiased? Looks like a monte-carlo approach to me.

At least until very recently V-Ray used regular biased backwards raytracing with
photon mapping, except incredibly optimized.  Perhaps those speckles in the
video have simply something to do with the GPU calculating an insane amount of
rays and rendering pixels out of order?

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 21:22:17 -0400, nemesis wrote:

>> nemesis schrieb:
>> > Completely mindblowing, specially the later scenes! o_O That's why
>> > V-Ray is top today, without even resorting to unbiased algorithms.
>>
>> Sure it's unbiased? Looks like a monte-carlo approach to me.
>
> At least until very recently V-Ray used regular biased backwards
> raytracing with photon mapping, except incredibly optimized.  Perhaps
> those speckles in the video have simply something to do with the GPU
> calculating an insane amount of rays and rendering pixels out of order?

IIRC, the ray depth was only set to 5 in those videos, wasn't it?

Jim

Post a reply to this message