POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Speaking of conspiracy theories Server Time
6 Sep 2024 01:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  Speaking of conspiracy theories (Message 61 to 70 of 133)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Speaking of conspiracy theories
Date: 2 Aug 2009 11:21:53
Message: <4A75AF14.8080007@hotmail.com>
On 2-8-2009 16:54, Stephen wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:12:37 +0200, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>
>> My wife has the strange habit of verbatim quoting entire conversations
>> (i.e. without using 'and then he said' or similar to indicate she is
>> still quoting) between her and somebody else. After ten minutes I get
>> confused if 'you' refers to me or to that other person.
>
> Oh! Is that a bad thing then?
yes, because she gets angry, because I haven't been paying attention.
Actually I have been listening for 10 bloody minutes and how am I to
know when the quote stops if she does not tell me.

> You would not like to hear her talking to me :P

why not?

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 2 Aug 2009 12:26:11
Message: <2efb75dqljrmhvd0eeqdsgedag0ihqn570@4ax.com>
On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 17:21:56 +0200, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>On 2-8-2009 16:54, Stephen wrote:
>> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 15:12:37 +0200, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
>>
>>> My wife has the strange habit of verbatim quoting entire conversations
>>> (i.e. without using 'and then he said' or similar to indicate she is
>>> still quoting) between her and somebody else. After ten minutes I get
>>> confused if 'you' refers to me or to that other person.
>>
>> Oh! Is that a bad thing then?
>yes, because she gets angry, because I haven't been paying attention.
>Actually I have been listening for 10 bloody minutes and how am I to
>know when the quote stops if she does not tell me.

If you follow properly then you would know :)

>> You would not like to hear her talking to me :P
>
>why not?

I do the same or so my wife tells me.
--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Chambers
Date: 2 Aug 2009 12:48:03
Message: <4a75c343@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> On 2-8-2009 8:23, John VanSickle wrote:
>> I do, however, see a boatload of Monday-morning quarterbacking.
>
> What on earth is that? Could you explain for us geographically
> challenged people?

Claiming, with hindsight, that you know what he should have done better
than he did at the time.

American Football games are often played on Sunday night.  The tendency
is for fans to talk Monday morning about what mistakes the quarterback
made during the game, claiming that they know better (having watched the
whole game).  The fact that the fans are not under the same pressure as
the Quarterback, and have access to different information (views from TV
cameras, rather than being on the field) doesn't seem to matter to these
people.  They just think that the QBs are idiots, and they are better.

The implication here is that, whatever mistakes Bush may have made
during office, those complaining about him aren't likely to have done
any better were they in his situation.

(I have to disagree, though, as I think he was a deluded warmonger, and
lots of people could have done better.  Not Gore, but I'd probably even
vote for Hillary over Bush if there were another election.)

--
Chambers

Post a reply to this message

From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 2 Aug 2009 13:08:21
Message: <4a75c805$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/02/09 11:48, Chambers wrote:
> (I have to disagree, though, as I think he was a deluded warmonger, and

	He may have been a warmongerer, and a lot more stuff unfit to print,
but I seriously doubt he was delusional.

--
Kotter: "Have you ever considered becoming a vet?"
Epstein: "Uh...Uh no. My brother Sanchez was in the army. Didn't like it

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 2 Aug 2009 13:14:44
Message: <4a75c984$1@news.povray.org>
andrel wrote:
> other general broadcast companies are either too tightly bound to one
> political party or too busy avoiding law suits and/or loss of audience
> to have an political opinion.

Also, they depend on getting press releases and access to the president, and
they find themselves snubbed if they annoy the government too much. If
you're doing comedy instead of news, it's OK to make fun of the government
two or three days after the event has been reported in all the "serious" media.

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    back to version 1.0."

From: Darren New
Date: 2 Aug 2009 13:47:00
Message: <4a75d114$1@news.povray.org>
John VanSickle wrote:
>  The anti-Bush people said the same about Bush and his policies, as well.

I think one difference is that something like 70%-80% of the people approve
of (some of) Obama's policies, while 70%-80% disapproved of Bush's policies.
The Obama policies that most people disapprove of are the ones where he's
doing the same thing as Bush.

But let's not get into a political argument here. :-)

From: Darren New
Date: 2 Aug 2009 13:48:31
Message: <4a75d16f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>>   I hate to be a grammar nazi
>   Btw, does that count as Godwin's law in action?

Reminds me of one of the meetings I was in.
"Hire Carlyn. She's very good at this sort of management."
"Yes, she's a real requirements Nazi. ... Er, that's a good thing."

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Aug 2009 14:29:11
Message: <4a75daf7@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 02:16:01 -0400, John VanSickle wrote:

> They do
> honestly believe that Obama's policies will do far more harm than good.

Arguably, many of these same people are the ones who proudly proclaim
that America has the "best health care system in the world", despite the
cost of health care here being the *highest* in the world, the system
itself being ranked something like 50th in the world, and the average
life span being something like 37th in the world.

I wonder how we rank in the cost of malpractice insurance for
doctors....certainly that's a huge part of the insane costs of health
care here in the US.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 2 Aug 2009 14:30:55
Message: <4A75DB60.4040208@hotmail.com>
On 2-8-2009 18:25, Stephen wrote:
> On Sun, 02 Aug 2009 17:21:56 +0200, andrel <a_l### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:

>>> Oh! Is that a bad thing then?
>> yes, because she gets angry, because I haven't been paying attention.
>> Actually I have been listening for 10 bloody minutes and how am I to
>> know when the quote stops if she does not tell me.
>
> If you follow properly then you would know :)
>
>>> You would not like to hear her talking to me :P
>> why not?
>
> I do the same or so my wife tells me.
Take this advice of another victim of this strange behaviour: stop it.
;) Learn to use phrases like 'he asked me if I would...' in stead of
'will you...' and 'I asked her if...' in stead of 'will you...'. It will
make the life of the listener so much easier. Also restrict yourself to
the main points and don't act like a tape recorder, that will help the
listener also to understand what you find the most important, and it
saves time.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Cook
Date: 2 Aug 2009 14:50:52
Message: <4a75e00c@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> Arguably, many of these same people are the ones who proudly proclaim
> that America has the "best health care system in the world", despite the
> cost of health care here being the *highest* in the world, the system
> itself being ranked something like 50th in the world, and the average
> life span being something like 37th in the world.

Why, the cost being highest in the world is what *makes* it the best in
the world!  More expensive is always better, *especially* if you get a
lower-quality product!  It shows that you are affluent and have money to
waste!  And *everything* in America is better than everywhere else, not
because it's *good*, but because everywhere else is so much worse, yes!
  Now all we need to do is get rid of those pesky liberals, who have
their heads in their sand about reality and want to take all our
hard-earned money and give it to deadbeat minorities who just want to
suckle on the public teat, and prevent us from our God-given
constitutional right to bear arms as a metaphor for freedom, despite the
fact that we haven't had a ground-force invasion of American soil in a
very long time, certainly not within living memory.  Well, there's those
illegal immigrants, any immigrants should be illegal to keep the
American culture pure, and that's sure an invasion and we should be
allowed to shoot anybody who's different.  Rawr.  (and that's not even
touching the abomination that is the Federal Reserve, mockery that is
the UN, travesty of abortion under any circumstances, and whatever other
sacred cows far-right conservatives have that I can't think of off the
top of my head)

*cough*

--
Tim Cook