POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 05:13:45 EDT (-0400)
  An example of confirmation bias? (Message 90 to 99 of 279)
From: Chambers
Subject: Re: An example of confirmation bias?
Date: 5 Jul 2009 22:06:27
Message: <4a515c23@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Chambers wrote:
>> The teachings of the church causing it, and the Church itself
>> supporting it, are two separate things.
>
> I disagree.

Fair enough.

>> Historically, the LDS Church has never been about telling people what
>> to specifically do
>
> So, all that stuff I hear about not drinking caffeine and such, that's
> not "the LDS church telling people what to specifically do"?

If you want to get into dietary restraints, the Jewish teachings are
much more restrictive.  All that stuff about not drinking caffeine is BS.

Here's what the Church says:
Don't drink alcohol.
Don't drink tea or coffee.
Don't eat too much meat.
Get plenty of fruits and vegetables.
Exercise to stay in shape.
Everything else in moderation.

Not much too it, and pretty much common sense.

> Well, sure. And if the teaching is "gay people are evil and should be
> repressed at every opportunity, and black people are literally spawn of
> satan on earth", you don't think that's telling people how to live their
> lives?  Isn't telling people specifically how to live their lives what
> churches are *for*?

I think you have a different church in mind.  The LDS church never said
"gay people are evil and should be repressed at every opportunity, and
black people are literally spawn of satan on earth."

Individual members may have espoused those beliefs, but they aren't the
majority, and any time someone in a position of authority starts saying
stuff like that the higher-ups come down pretty hard on them.

--
Chambers

Post a reply to this message