POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Jul 2009 23:46:10
Message: <4a517382@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> If you want to get into dietary restraints, the Jewish teachings are
> much more restrictive.  All that stuff about not drinking caffeine is BS.

It's amazing how often the fallacy of "et tu" comes up in religious
conversations.   "Your religion is broken."  "Well, theirs is broken worse,
so that's OK."

> Not much too it, and pretty much common sense.

The jewish dietary restrictions were pretty common sense for their time too.
But that's utterly irrelevant. You contended the church doesn't tell people
what to do. When I give examples of the church doing exactly that, you
dismiss them as "well, it's common sense."

Aren't mormons also disallowed from smoking, or at least chewing tobacco?
(And doesn't that rule hold from even before it was common sense?) Isn't (or
at least wasn't) it very bad for a white to marry a black? To masturbate? To
be homosexual? Isn't this telling people specifically what to do in many
circumstances?

> I think you have a different church in mind.  The LDS church never said
> "gay people are evil and should be repressed at every opportunity, and
> black people are literally spawn of satan on earth."

Sorry, isn't LDS the church of Mormon? Or am I confused?

OK, looking farther, I see I am mistaken. It's Cain, not Satan, that blacks
are descended from. And Cain wasn't a Satan worshiper, but rather just
someone who didn't take sides in the big battle. My bad. Hard to keep track
of all the details of all the different tales.

Of course, blacks *are* evil and shouldn't be allowed to marry whites. But I
guess being cursed by God and actually being spawn of Lucifer are different
things.

And it isn't gay people who are evil, but the act of being gay. Because, you
know, part of a person's personality being evil doesn't mean the *person* is
evil. It just means you should shun them until they get over it.

So yes, I suppose technically my statement was flawed. Thanks for that
correction.

> Individual members may have espoused those beliefs, but they aren't the
> majority, and any time someone in a position of authority starts saying
> stuff like that the higher-ups come down pretty hard on them.

So none of these quotes are actually accurate?
http://nowscape.com/mormon/negro.htm

How about these? Who comes down hard on the LDS president when he mentioned
that homosexuality is unholy? Or that the ERA should be opposed because it
might lead to gays getting rights too?

http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_lds2.htm

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)