POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
7 Sep 2024 07:24:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 Jul 2009 22:18:19
Message: <4a515eeb@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 16:29:03 -0700, Chambers wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> One of the largest financial contributors (if not the single largest
>> contributor) to the pro-Proposition 8 vote was the LDS Church and its
>> membership.
>
> Its membership, not the Church itself.  As a rule the Church itself
> stays out of politics, other than to say "Follow your conscience."

Um, maybe that's what they want people to believe, but the Church itself
is credited for donating just over $55,000.  That's in the Church's name.

That doesn't include Church-owned businesses or individuals with a lot of
pull.

> In fact, just about every election the leaders are asked to read a
> statement to the congregations reminding them that
>
> 1) The Church does not tell you how to vote. 2) Church facilities may
> not be used for political purposes 3) The Church does not endorse any
> specific individual OR piece of legislation
> 4) You should vote.

Yes, they *say* that, and that's the official stance that keeps them from
running afoul of the laws that govern their ability to participate in
politics.  However if you talk to people who are members of the church,
they'll generally tell you that while the church takes no official
position, it's pretty clear which position is desirable.

My wife has a gay brother (who was married in California to his partner
before Prop 8 passed) who used to be LDS.  My wife used to be LDS, and
her father is a bishop.  I work in an office in Utah county, where one of
the largest conservative groups of LDS members live.

Fact of the matter is that for out-of-state contributions in support of
Prop 8, Utah ranked 1st with more than 50% of out-of-state
contributions.  It's no coincidence that the LDS Church's home state made
such a large contribution - and I think it's highly unlikely that it
wasn't because of the Church pushing a socially conservative agenda.
Remember that this is a church that has repressed women since its
inception and minorities until relatively recently.

It's also highly ironic that the Church's historic "marriage" is
polygamistic (still practiced by some sects, as much as the Church tries
to distance itself from its history and sects like the FLDS) and they
"fought" for "traditional marriage".  Personally, I find that highly
amusing.

Jim