POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 17:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  An example of confirmation bias? (Message 150 to 159 of 279)
From: Patrick Elliott
Subject: Re: An example of confirmation bias?
Date: 7 Jul 2009 01:39:11
Message: <4a52df7f$1@news.povray.org>
Chambers wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> That's a bit like arguing that a union didn't take an official stand
>> on an issue, but its "members" voted to go on strike....
>
> What's wrong with that?
>
> The Union itself may or may not take an official stance on an issue, but
> its members most like share a number of characteristics (median income,
> living conditions, work environment, etc) that make them more likely to
> vote the same way.
>
> It's not the same thing.

Sorry, but you seem to be missing my point. The people "are" the union,
as far as what the union itself "does" about any of the stuff it votes
on. To suggest that a) it has no stance, and b) that stance isn't what
is "presented" to vote on, is just silly. How likely do you think it
would be that a church's priest(s) would go against its congregation,
instead of allowing them to "vote" in some sense on what issues they
plan to push?

Still, you may be right, its possibly not the right example.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Jul 2009 01:45:49
Message: <4a52e10d$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> I stand corrected, but that also ignores the history of the Church and
> what was "traditional" from the church's point of view.  How many wives
> did Joseph Smith have again?
>
> Jim

The truly stupid thing is, it was traditional for "large numbers" of the
early settlers, as was arranged marriages. It wasn't until later that
"both" fell out of favor. And the polygamy mainly because more liberal
groups, who liked women to have rights, took a good hard look at it and
realized that, as practiced, it pretty much completely denied "any"
rights to the women. Well, than and the idea that women might, if given
true rights, marry several men... Which would be the logical conclusion
of any system that "respected" the people involved, instead of demanding
that one of the two put out, shut up, and obey.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Jul 2009 01:50:39
Message: <4a52e22f@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>>   (And btw, quotes are not used for emphasis, but for the exact opposite,
>> ie. de-emphasis.)
>
> Yeah. Sometimes the posts are almost unreadable due to that.

Snort.. Oddly, I thought quotes where to quote things, which is kind of
the opposite of deemphasizing them. Seriously though, you really have
that big of a problem with my style? What the hell did people do before
they had type facing, underlines, bold, etc.? :p

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Jul 2009 02:05:51
Message: <4a52e5bf$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> I think the problem is more what the leaders of the religion are saying.
> If the pope was out there advocating suicide bombers, I think there
> would be a better case against Catholics than there is now.

In the case of Catholics (or specifically their leadership, which most
don't pay much attention to anyway)... Quite frankly its what the
leadership "isn't" saying or doing that is the thing sinking that ship.
The only thing, at this point, which could make the diocese seem "more"
corrupt and insane would be finding the Pope in a closet, dressed in a
wetsuit, with stuff stuck in his varies openings, and a bunch of neck
ties around his throat. Sadly... One of our insane religious fanatics
beat him too that one.

Catholicism is a religion with a major personality disorder. On one
hand, its body (the lay people) mostly ignore what is going on in the
head (the Vatican), except when it has to, and goes on its own business,
as though nothing is wrong, while, on the other hand, the head has a bad
case of theological and moral Tourette Syndrome. It literally can't do,
or say, anything that isn't completely despicable, with the intent of
protecting itself from an increasing number of flat out stupid, evil, or
just plain bizarre, behaviors and ideas.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Jul 2009 02:09:27
Message: <4a52e697$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Actually, there's a web site called bbspot.com that regularly (like,
> every few months) manages to write a satire article that gets picked up
> and distributed by actual qualified news outlets like CNN or NYT. And
> it's not even religion.

Wonder if they where the ones that reported that Jeff Goldbloom had died
falling from a mountain, in New Zealand, and 'verified' it by talking to
the cops there? Colbert had Goldbloom on "during" his announcement of
his supposed death, and the later 'confirmation' that he had indeed
died. Funnier than hell.

>> Its like living in a world based on the movie Baron Münchhausen.
>
> You know Baron Münchhausen was a real person? And there's a sickness
> called "Baron Münchhausen Syndrome" which involves someone unable to
> stop making up unbelievable stories about his exploits.

You, I know. And its slightly scary to think how many people have failed
to be diagnosed with the same condition in the US. lol

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {

From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jul 2009 02:20:54
Message: <4a52e946@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>>>   (And btw, quotes are not used for emphasis, but for the exact
>>> opposite,
>>> ie. de-emphasis.)
>>
>> Yeah. Sometimes the posts are almost unreadable due to that.
>>
> Snort..

I'm serious.

> Oddly, I thought quotes where to quote things, which is kind of
> the opposite of deemphasizing them.

No. Quoting something deemphasizes it.

Mary says "You're a fool."

Does that mean you're a fool like it would if I said you're a fool? Does it
sound like I'm agreeing with Mary?

When someone puts air-quotes around a statement, they're saying "Well,
that's what *they* call it, but we all know they're wrong."

Quotes attribute to someone else a statement that the person quoting it
isn't stating. Hence, if you're the one saying it, and you put quotes around
it, you're attributing that word to someone else, but since you're not
saying who, you're simply saying "I don't really mean this word the way I
wrote it."

 > Seriously though, you really have
> that big of a problem with my style?

Seriously, 500-word sentences sprinkled liberally with incorrect punctuation
is, indeed, difficult to read and understand.

> What the hell did people do before
> they had type facing, underlines, bold, etc.? :p

Proper grammar. >89

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jul 2009 02:24:07
Message: <4a52ea07@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Wonder if they where the ones that reported that Jeff Goldbloom had died
> falling from a mountain, in New Zealand, and 'verified' it by talking to

Correct quote marks.

> the cops there? Colbert had Goldbloom on "during" his announcement of

Incorrect quote marks.

> his supposed death, and the later 'confirmation' that he had indeed

Correct quote marks.

> died. Funnier than hell.

See how the second set of quote marks are not saying "Really really
confirmed", but rather "claimed to be confirmed but not really"?  How you
put quotes around the word "verified" to say "they said it was verified, but
obviously they were incorrect"?

Just sayin'.... :-)

From: nemesis
Date: 7 Jul 2009 08:35:00
Message: <web.4a53400b9fc253f29d96de590@news.povray.org>
> WARNING:  Don't watch this video unless you have an IQ of about
> 140...you're guaranteed to lose 30-40 points just by watching this video
> (or so the friend of mine who posted this claims)
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF3L359yKjs

I've gone bananas!

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 7 Jul 2009 10:55:56
Message: <4a5361fc@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:
> Snort.. Oddly, I thought quotes where to quote things, which is kind of
> the opposite of deemphasizing them.

  In writing, quotes can be used for several purposes, but emphasis has
never been one of them. There are basically three main purposes they can
be used for:

- Literal quotes. You write literally what someone has said and denote this
with the quotes. An example would be:

    He said that "all things being equal, the simplest explanation is the
    most plausible one."

- Mark a word as having some special meaning, such being a title, a slang
word or an alias. An examples:

    Miles "Tails" Prower is a playable character in the "Sonic the Hedgehog"
    game series.

- Denote an euphemism or ironic expression, or denote that the meaning of
the word should not be taken literally (iow. de-emphasis). Example:

    He got to "third base", if you know what I mean.

> What the hell did people do before
> they had type facing, underlines, bold, etc.? :p

  Since the dawn of internet *asterisks* have been used for emphasis (as
a substitute for bolding) in online communication. This is, of course, a
completely informal convention. In printed media cursive is the de-facto
method for emphasis. Sometimes underlining as well.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jul 2009 12:32:36
Message: <4a5378a4$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> In printed media cursive is the de-facto
> method for emphasis. Sometimes underlining as well.

Actually, underlining was used in proof reading to indicate the underlined
word should be italicized. Since you couldn't by hand easily overwrite a
word with italics. That's where the "underline is italic" convention came from.

I'm not sure what they did for boldface, tho. :-)