POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An example of confirmation bias? : Re: An example of confirmation bias? Server Time
6 Sep 2024 19:22:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An example of confirmation bias?
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Jul 2009 02:20:54
Message: <4a52e946@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>>>   (And btw, quotes are not used for emphasis, but for the exact
>>> opposite,
>>> ie. de-emphasis.)
>>
>> Yeah. Sometimes the posts are almost unreadable due to that.
>>
> Snort..

I'm serious.

> Oddly, I thought quotes where to quote things, which is kind of
> the opposite of deemphasizing them.

No. Quoting something deemphasizes it.

Mary says "You're a fool."

Does that mean you're a fool like it would if I said you're a fool? Does it
sound like I'm agreeing with Mary?

When someone puts air-quotes around a statement, they're saying "Well,
that's what *they* call it, but we all know they're wrong."

Quotes attribute to someone else a statement that the person quoting it
isn't stating. Hence, if you're the one saying it, and you put quotes around
it, you're attributing that word to someone else, but since you're not
saying who, you're simply saying "I don't really mean this word the way I
wrote it."

 > Seriously though, you really have
> that big of a problem with my style?

Seriously, 500-word sentences sprinkled liberally with incorrect punctuation
is, indeed, difficult to read and understand.

> What the hell did people do before
> they had type facing, underlines, bold, etc.? :p

Proper grammar. >89

--
   Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Insanity is a small city on the western