POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh goodie Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:15:21 EDT (-0400)
  Oh goodie (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Invisible
Subject: Oh goodie
Date: 3 Mar 2009 08:18:20
Message: <49ad2e1c@news.povray.org>
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/01/29/carter_net_neut/

I can't help noticing that when I download stuff via BitTorrent, the
bandwidth usage is typically fairly constant. But - at the stroke of the
hour - you see a sudden, sharp change in transfer speed.

This could mean one of several things:
- A very large coincidence.
- Large numbers of people disconnect from the swarm exactly on the hour.
- Everybody else's outbound traffic is being throttled.
- Large numbers of people start using the Internet more at the stroke of
the hour.
- My inbound traffic is being throttled by my ISP.

Apparently the people in charge think it's completely "OK" for ISPs to
prevent you using the bandwidth you've paid for if they feel like it.
How sweet of them...

Post a reply to this message

> Apparently the people in charge think it's completely "OK" for ISPs to
> prevent you using the bandwidth you've paid for if they feel like it. How
> sweet of them...

I think you'll find you agreed to that when you signed up with the ISP.  If
you want guaranteed bandwidth then speak to your ISP about it, however you
might be a bit shocked by the prices...

Post a reply to this message

>> Apparently the people in charge think it's completely "OK" for ISPs to
>> prevent you using the bandwidth you've paid for if they feel like it.
>> How sweet of them...
>
> I think you'll find you agreed to that when you signed up with the ISP.
> If you want guaranteed bandwidth then speak to your ISP about it,
> however you might be a bit shocked by the prices...

their Internet access - a piffling 5 Mbit/sec. (But that is *both ways*.
And if it breaks, they fix it very fast.)

I don't mind so much that I won't always get 8 Mbit/sec at home.
Sometimes the network is busy. What I object to is the ISP deliberately
blocking certain types of traffic because they don't want me to use it.

Post a reply to this message

> their Internet access - a piffling 5 Mbit/sec. (But that is *both ways*.
> And if it breaks, they fix it very fast.)

Somewhat unrelated...

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/03/03/ofcom_bt_fibre/

Post a reply to this message

> their Internet access - a piffling 5 Mbit/sec. (But that is *both ways*.
> And if it breaks, they fix it very fast.)

Yeh, we pay I think about 4K/year for 2mbit each way.

> I don't mind so much that I won't always get 8 Mbit/sec at home. Sometimes
> the network is busy. What I object to is the ISP deliberately blocking
> certain types of traffic because they don't want me to use it.

Well that's just because they'd rather give the bandwidth to 100 people
surfing the bbc site than 1 person downloading illegal stuff from
bittorrent. (not saying that what you are doing is illegal, but i suspect
the majority of bittorrent traffic is illegal)

Post a reply to this message