POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh goodie : Re: Oh goodie Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:15:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh goodie
From: Mueen Nawaz
Date: 3 Mar 2009 13:17:06
Message: <49ad7422$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> That's just it, isn't it? Because a technology *can* be used for
> something illegal, why not punnish *everybody* who uses that technology?

	They're not punishing anybody. They couldn't care less who is breaking
the law. They want to keep their costs down, and Bittorrent (legal or
otherwise) will put a strain on their infrastructure. However, it's
convenient for them to frame it in a legal sense, so that people don't
argue.

> By a similar argument, the CD recorder I bought will only record on
> specially-marked CDs. These CDs cost 10x as much as normal ones "to
> subsidise the music industry against piracy". In other words, if you're
> buying blank CDs and putting them in a music CD recorder, it *must* be
> because you're trying to illegally copy music. Not because, say, you
> happen to be a musician and you want to record your performances. :-P

	That's likely a result of a lobby - it's not exactly analogous to the
ISP situation. While it may be possible they restrict bittorrent to
avoid legal problems, I suspect it has more to do with lowering costs.

--
"I owe, I owe, so it's off to work I go!" - Bumper Sticker

                   /  \/  \ u e e n     /  \/  a w a z
                                   anl