POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh goodie : Re: Oh goodie Server Time
9 Oct 2024 08:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh goodie
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Mar 2009 11:05:30
Message: <49ad554a$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> It's not just illegal content, it's anything that threatens to use up
> "too much" bandwidth:

I think one quote sums it up nicely:

"They have priced themselves as cheaply as possible on the assumption
that people were just going to use e-mail and do a bit of web surfing.
ISPs needed to stop using the term 'unlimited' to describe their
services and make it clear that if people wanted to watch hours of
downloaded video content they would have to pay a higher tariff."

Basically, they sold way more network capacity than they really have, on
the assumption that most people would only use a fraction of what they
paid for. Which used to work. But now people like me are trying to
actually use *all* of the bandwidth they paid for - which doesn't suit
the ISPs.

Reading about these new-fangled schemes which are supposed to give you
"up to" 100 Mbit/sec Internet access (once the cables are laid), I'm
wondering how that is going to affect the picture... Surely a really
fast link to the Internet is going to drastically worsen the problem.