POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Oh goodie : Re: Oh goodie Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:14:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Oh goodie
From: Invisible
Date: 3 Mar 2009 10:19:56
Message: <49ad4a9c$1@news.povray.org>
>> I don't mind so much that I won't always get 8 Mbit/sec at home.
>> Sometimes the network is busy. What I object to is the ISP
>> deliberately blocking certain types of traffic because they don't want
>> me to use it.
>
> Well that's just because they'd rather give the bandwidth to 100 people
> surfing the bbc site than 1 person downloading illegal stuff from
> bittorrent. (not saying that what you are doing is illegal, but i
> suspect the majority of bittorrent traffic is illegal)

That's just it, isn't it? Because a technology *can* be used for
something illegal, why not punnish *everybody* who uses that technology?

By a similar argument, the CD recorder I bought will only record on
specially-marked CDs. These CDs cost 10x as much as normal ones "to
subsidise the music industry against piracy". In other words, if you're
buying blank CDs and putting them in a music CD recorder, it *must* be
because you're trying to illegally copy music. Not because, say, you
happen to be a musician and you want to record your performances. :-P